Skip to content

Khan eyes Reebok title shot

Image: Khan: Yearns title shot

Amir Khan remains confident he will fight for a world title this year and is hoping it will take place in front of his home fans at the Reebok.

Latest Boxing Stories

Summer fight in Bolton the dream of Barrera conqueror

Amir Khan remains confident he will fight for a world title this year and is hoping it will take place in front of his home fans at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton. Khan took a giant step in his young career when beating Marco Antonio Barrera in Manchester on Saturday, helping to banish the memory of his first round knockout to Breidis Prescott there last year and silencing many critics in the process. The 22-year-old battered the future Hall of Famer into a fifth round stoppage at the weekend, and although Barrera suffered a hideous cut high on the forehead in the first round that eventually forced the fight to be stopped, Khan believes he dominated from the outset. "I felt in full control, strong, catching him with some good shots and could see him getting weaker and weaker, and if it had gone on another two or three rounds I think I would have knocked him out," Khan told Sky Sports News.

Pressure was on

"It has to be the highlight of my career, the way I defeated a legend like I did, it's going to take me on to the next level, and get me known all around the world and get me bigger fights. "Every fight you feel pressure, but this fight was make or break for me and I had to win it if I want to become world champion this year, or to go up the rankings. "The pressure was on and I was nervous before the fight but it brought the best out of me." Khan paid tribute to trainer Freddie Roach, who took over the coaching role following the Prescott loss. "I spent seven weeks in Hollywood for this fight with Freddie, doing technique work, watching videos of Barrera, working hard and mentally preparing myself and staying focused," he added. "This is the second camp I've spent there now and I think it's changed me as a fighter. My hands are up tight, I'm fighting better, more patient, using the right shots at the right time and I feel more comfortable in the ring. The jigsaw's coming together. "My body has changed totally, my legs have thickened and I've got a lot of strength in the legs now. "In my upper body I kind of had huge shoulders, big arms and I've slimmed down a bit, got leaner, and I'm going to stick to my speed and keep working with top sparring partners." With both IBF and WBC lightweight division titles currently vacant, Khan should have several options open to him, including a possible re-match with Prescott somewhere down the line.
Shortlist
"This year's my big year, at the beginning I said it's going to be a massive year, I'm going to have some big fights and fighting Marco Antonio Barrera is a good start, and hopefully I can fight in the United States. "There are a few names on the shortlist that I will leave with Frank Warren and I'd love to fight Prescott again. "I know I made a mistake in the Prescott fight and he made me pay, but so much has changed since then - I've moved to the Wild Card gym - and Barrera was a tough fight, but I know if I fight him again I know I won't make the same mistake again." Rumours are circulating that a fight at the Reebok in the summer could be next for Khan, which the Bolton lad admits would be something special. "It would be a dream come true to fight at the Reebok Stadium, it would be nice if a world title fight was there," he said. "I'm sure I can fill the whole arena there. "I had a brilliant fan base in Manchester and I'm sure we can do the same at the Reebok. What a great day that would be and a great boost for Bolton."