Skip to content

Ward calls off Green fight

Image: Ward: Knee injury

Andre Ward has pulled out of his fight with Allan Green on April 24 after suffering a recurrence of a knee injury.

Latest Boxing Stories

Knee injury set to delay WBA champion's return

Andre Ward has pulled out of his fight with Allan Green on April 24 after suffering a recurrence of a knee injury. The American, who defeated Mikkel Kessler to land the WBA middleweight title last year, had surgery on the knee 12 months ago and has reportedly re-injured it in training. It was due to be Green's first fight in the Super Six World Boxing Classic series after he replaced Jermain Taylor, who has been knocked out in his last two fights. No new date has been announced as yet. Green had earlier stated his belief that Ward did not want the fight, but promoter Dan Goossen dispelled any suggestion the champion was ducking him. "Anyone that states Andre Ward is either ducking or untruthful does not know Andre Ward," he said. "There's no need to rebut Green's comments. "Soon enough he will find out that his boasting of beating Andre Ward as well as Ward's desire not to fight him are both going up in flames." Ward added that the fight will go ahead as soon as his knee problem is cured. "I don't think Allan Green and his team realize how bad I want this fight," he said. "They will get the fight as soon as a new date is rescheduled. "I look forward to getting back in the ring at 100% and defending my WBA title in the Super Six World Boxing Classic."