Joe Burns expects Australia to bounce back against England
Monday 13 July 2015 14:47, UK
Joe Burns expects Australia to bounce back quickly from their defeat in the first Investec Ashes Test at Cardiff.
The 25-year-old Middlesex batsman says his compatriots remain a “fantastic side” despite the loss to England.
“Whoever they pick, they are proven cricketers over a long period of time” he said.
“To have one bad Test match you do not throw away the results you have had over a number of years being a fantastic side.
“It would be silly to write anyone off in the whole squad. Whoever they put out on the field on Thursday will be very motivated and very keen to getting it back to one all in the series.”
Burns, who made his Test debut for Australia last year, thinks Darren Lehmann’s squad has enough strength in depth to cope with Mitchell Starc’s potential absence through injury.
“He’s a fantastic bowler and any time you lose a bowler of that high quality it’s always going to be a blow” he said.
“The guys they have in the squad can play just as well. We have to wait and see how Starc pulls up obviously. But there are number of bowlers who can come in and play that role that Starcy does and do it well just as well.”
Australia face England in the second Ashes Test at Lord’s on Thursday and Burns believes the setting will help to spur the visitors on.
“It’s always a nice place to play. Like I said it’s the home of cricket, a lot of history there,” he said.
“I’m sure they’ll be up for the challenge. It’s probably the place you do want to play after a loss, to get in front of a big crowd and a lot of really educated members as well.
“The Test team have a lot of experience playing in England and playing at Lord’s, so they will know the conditions well, they will know the slope of the wicket and everything that goes with it. I think they will be very well prepared.”