Skip to content

F1 2026: Key meetings as final Bahrain testing begins set to impact power unit and start procedure disputes

Two key meetings are set to take place on Wednesday, alongside the start of Formula 1's final 2026 pre-season test in Bahrain; watch full live coverage from 7am-4pm on all three days of the final pre-season test in Bahrain from Wednesday on Sky Sports F1

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Sky Sports' Craig Slater explains whether Mercedes’ engine will be deemed illegal ahead of 2026 season.

The final test of the 2026 Formula 1 pre-season gets under way on Wednesday, but the most crucial action of the day may well be away from the track at the Bahrain International Circuit.

Two crucial meetings are scheduled, with the discussions potentially having huge implications on the upcoming season, which gets under way in Australia in just over two weeks.

One of them will be held by the Power Unit Advisory Committee (PUAC), which consists of the sport's five engine manufacturers, the sport's governing body - the FIA - and the sport's commercial rights holder - Formula One Management (FOM).

At the top of the agenda on Wednesday will be the topic that has dominated pre-season, a dispute over the enforcement of rules around the compression ratio limit of the F1's new engines.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff says the team had the approval of the FIA throughout the development of their engine.

The historic introduction of both new chassis and power units for 2026 makes this one of the most highly anticipated seasons in the sport's history, but has also created uncertainty about how the racing will look.

Fears over the racing were heightened at last week's first official test in Bahrain, most notably around the start procedure, and there have also been loud calls for changes to be made to ensure things run smoothly in Melbourne on March 8.

The start issue will be covered by Wednesday's other key meeting, that of the F1 Commission, which consists of senior representatives from the 11 teams, the FIA, and FOM.

Also See:

Power unit dispute set for resolution?

The year had barely begun when murmurs of an engine dispute emerged, with reports initially suggesting that Mercedes and Red Bull had found a loophole in the rules that the other three power unit manufacturers - Ferrari, Honda and Audi - were unhappy with.

The row centres on compression ratio limits amid suggestions from rivals that the two manufacturers may have found a way to deliver a higher limit than what was theoretically imposed by the brand-new regulations for 2026.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Wolff hit out at rival F1 teams for criticising the legality of Mercedes' new engine.

The compression ratio limit has been lowered from 18.0 under the previous ruleset to 16.0, but measurements are only taken when the engine is not running at full temperature.

Red Bull engine chief Ben Hodgkinson, in January, described the saga as "a lot of noise about nothing" and the Milton Keynes squad appeared to be aligned with Mercedes in batting away questions of legality.

Mercedes chief Wolff was aggressive in his initial response as he told rivals to "get your s*** together" and accused them of making "excuses" before the season had even started.

Follow Sky Sports on WhatsApp
Follow Sky Sports on WhatsApp

Follow Sky Sports on WhatsApp for the latest sports news, videos, features, analysis and much more

However, by the time the first official test began in Bahrain on February 11, Wolff was striking a far more conciliatory tone as he appeared to accept that Mercedes being forced to alter their power unit appeared a genuine possibility.

Wolff's position was perhaps altered by an apparent change of position from Red Bull, who now appear to be aligned with the other three manufacturers in lobbying the FIA to ensure the compression ratio remains below the stated limit at all times, not just when the car is stationary for examination.

Mercedes' rivals believe that the Silver Arrows were not running anywhere near full capacity at the first test in Bahrain, in an attempt to convince the FIA that changes to the rules aren't necessary.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Williams boss James Vowles says an engine rule change would 'open up a can of worms'.

But it all appears set to come to a head on Wednesday. If the FIA and FOM agree with the other four engine manufacturers that a rule change or clarification is required, that would create the 'super majority' that is required to force it through.

Mercedes also supply power units for McLaren, Williams and Alpine, so any such ruling would have the potential to harm all four teams' competitiveness going into the new season.

Will the race start procedure be changed?

The second area of contention is around race starts, the moment of a Sunday that most excites the majority of F1 fans.

There are some concerns around the challenges the new power units create for drivers as they attempt to ready themselves to pull away from the grid.

Most teams believe the drivers need more time than they are currently permitted to prepare for lights out, and that extra seconds should be added to the period between all the cars being lined up on the grid and the beginning of the start procedure.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Watch the highlights of the third day of the first Bahrain pre-season Test.

The issue in this instance is that Ferrari are understood to be firmly opposed to any rule change, having factored in the technical challenge of the start with the design of their power unit.

Speaking in Bahrain on Friday, McLaren team principal Andrea Stella said that adjusting the start procedure was a matter of "safety" and that it was "imperative" for a change to be made before the Australian Grand Prix.

Stella said: "We are not talking about how fast you are in qualifying, we are not talking about what is your race pace, we are talking about safety on the grid.

"There are some topics which are simply bigger than the competitive interests. And for me, having safety on the grid, which can be achieved with a simple adjustment, is just a no-brainer. It's just a bigger interest."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Fred Vasseur has downplayed the hype around Charles Leclerc's fast race simulation on day two of Bahrain, as he believes other teams are 'not at the maximum'.

Judging by Stella's words, there's likely to be a strong push from several teams on Wednesday for changes to be made, but there's no indication Ferrari's stance will soften.

The one area in which all of the team bosses appear unified is that, particularly regarding the engine dispute, a resolution needs to be reached now.

Vasseur told Sky Sports F1 on Friday: "Now the most important [thing] is to take a decision because to stay grey is not a solution, it has to be black or white.

"It's important for us, it's important for everybody. It's also important for you [the media] and the fans. We want to clarify this the sooner the better."

Sky Sports F1's Bahrain Testing schedule

Test Two: Wednesday 18th, Thursday 19th, Friday 20th February

  • 6.50am-11.05am: Morning session Live
  • 11.55am-4.10pm: Afternoon session Live
  • 8pm: Testing Wrap

Watch every race of the 2026 F1 season live on Sky Sports, starting with the Australian Grand Prix from March 6-8. Stream Sky Sports with NOW - no contract, cancel anytime