Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo worth following in Monaco Grand Prix, says Johnny Herbert
Thursday 26 May 2016 11:59, UK
Sky Sports F1 pundit Johnny Herbert is backing 13/2 shot Daniel Ricciardo to top the podium in this weekend’s Monaco Grand Prix.
The 26-year-old Australian has made a great start to the season for Red Bull and is currently in fifth place in the Drivers' Championship, only 13 points behind second-placed Kimi Raikkonen.
Ricciardo was fourth in Barcelona two weeks ago, in a race won by Red Bull team-mate Max Verstappen, and goes into the race with an improved engine and high on confidence.
Herbert said: "Let's face it, he should have won in Spain and the boy is driving superbly well this season. If there's any justice in the world he'll take that excellent Red Bull chassis and turn it into a winning machine on the streets of Monaco once again."
The former F1 driver is also prepared to take a punt 9/4 shot Jenson Button to secure a top-six finish in Monte Carlo, a circuit he has enjoyed success at in the past.
Herbert, who secured a podium finish in this race 20 years ago, said: "With the forecast for a little bit of rain and the improvements that McLaren and Honda seem to have made this season, it's worth taking a chance on Jenson to pull off a little upset on Sunday.
"He's a former winner here and his experience might just pay dividends in what could be a tricky race."
And Herbert feels the improved reliability of the McLaren, winner of 15 races in Monaco, could help both Button and Fernando Alonso finish among the points this weekend, at 6/4 with Sky Bet.
"Had Alonso not retired McLaren could well have pulled this off last year. Given their reliability appears much improved why shouldn't the team with the most wins around the streets of Monaco pull off a double points finish."
Johnny Herbert's Charity tips this season are supporting Sporting Memories.