Sebastian Vettel demands Formula 1 introduces the Halo device
Last Updated: 01/08/16 3:43pm
Sebastian Vettel has demanded that Formula 1 introduces the controversial Halo device, telling critics of the device "nothing justifies death".
A proposal to introduce the Halo was put to a vote of F1's Strategy Group on Thursday in Geneva ahead of the German GP.
While critics have argued that the Halo would damage F1's aesthetics, Vettel himself admitted he experienced "quite a lot of impact in terms of visibility" when he ran it in practice for this year's British GP, but the Ferrari driver is adamant that it must be introduced.
"We had a vote amongst the drivers and 95 per cent voted for it. We don't like the way it looks but nothing justifies death," said the former world champion.
"This would be the first time in human history that we have learnt a lesson and not changed."
However, Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg countered: "It doesn't look very attractive. F1 is pretty safe and l think we need to keep an element of danger to keep it exciting."
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton has previously been a vocal critic of the concept, describing the Halo earlier this year as the "worst-looking mod in F1 history".
But after what the world champion described as "a great briefing" for the drivers at the Hungarian GP, Hamilton said: "I don't think we can ignore it. It's a safety thing that we all have to accept."