Antonio Giovinazzi to drive for Sauber at Chinese GP with Pascal Wehrlein ruled out
Italian to drive for Sauber with Pascal Wehrlein still struggling with fitness following back injury.
By Jonathan Green
Last Updated: 03/04/17 6:15pm
Antonio Giovinazzi will continue to drive for Sauber at the Chinese GP after Pascal Wehrlein was ruled out through fitness issues.
The Italian was a late replacement for Wehrlein at the season-opening Australian GP but impressed on his F1 debut, qualifying 16th and finishing 12th.
Wehrlein suffered a back injury at January's Race of Champions and the resulting "training deficit" has left the German feeling unable to complete a full race distance.
Wehrlein withdrew in Australia following Friday's practice sessions, leaving Giovinazzi - last year's GP2 runner-up - just an hour in the car to prepare for the weekend.
"The assurance he showed on track was tremendous," Sky Sports News HQ's Craig Slater told last week's F1 Report.
"He did his credentials no harm at all."
Wehrlein now hopes to return at either next week's Bahrain GP or the Russian GP on April 28-30.
He said: "For me the most important is that I can train intensively to ensure a 100% performance from my side as soon as possible. I will then be well-prepared for my first complete Grand Prix weekend for the Sauber F1 Team.
"Hopefully this can be in Bahrain but, if not, then we will take the time it needs until Russia to make sure I am completely ready."
Chinese Grand Prix TV times
|Session||On air build-up||Session start|
Watch the Chinese GP live only on Sky Sports F1 and in incredible Ultra HD! The race begins at 7am on Sunday. Check out all the ways to watch F1 on Sky Sports for subscribers and non-subscribers - including a NOW TV day pass for £6.99!