Honda’s Yasuhisa Arai says no decision has been made McLaren's 2015 line-up
Head of Motorsport predicts upturn in pace following engine switch
By William Esler
Last Updated: 01/10/14 11:42am
Honda’s Head of Motorsport Yasuhisa Arai has told Sky Sports News HQ that no decision has been made on who will drive for McLaren in 2015.
The Japanese manufacturer will return to the sport for the first time since 2008 when they rekindle a partnership with the Woking team that won four Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships in five seasons between 1988 and 1992.
There had been speculation that McLaren would announce their drivers for next season at Suzuka given the circuit is owned by Honda, but Arai expects other topics to be on the agenda than the futures of Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen.
“We are constantly talking about which drivers we would like to see and whilst McLaren is here in Japan it is only natural that we organise some meetings with McLaren,” he told Sky Sports News HQ. “But I don’t think we will be discussing the topic of drivers given that nothing is decided.”
McLaren are currently on course for their worst season since 1981 as they sit sixth in the standings – the lowest of any Mercedes powered team. So could the switch to Honda see a sudden return to the front?
“Of course there are various reasons for the performance we have seen from McLaren this season,” Arai added. “So based on those experiences we are making efforts towards making that jump.”
The 2014 Japanese GP is live on Sky Sports F1 this weekend. Extensive coverage of Race Day at Suzuka begins at 5.30am on Sunday with lights out at 7am.