Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula 1 for the second time at the end of the season, bringing the curtain down on his record-breaking career.
F1's most successful ever driver to bring the curtain down on his extraordinary career at the end of the season
Michael Schumacher will retire from Formula 1 for the second time at the end of the season.
The seven-times World Champion announced the decision in a press briefing at Suzuka on Thursday, less than a week after Mercedes revealed that they had signed Lewis Hamilton to replace him for 2013.
In wake of that announcement it was widely speculated that Schumacher may look to prolong his career elsewhere on the grid - most likely at Sauber. However, the sport's most successful ever driver has now confirmed that, although he still feels he can cut it with the best of the current generation, he has detected that this motivation to race on is declining.
"Let me start with a little clarification and announcement today. Obviously it concerns about my future, probably not a complete surprise," Schumacher told the assembled press corps, on the same day that he had also informed Mercedes of his intention to retire.
"I've decided to retire by the end of the year. Although I'm still able and capable to compete with the best drivers that are around but at some point it's good to say goodbye and that's what I'm doing by the end of the season - and it might this time even be for ever!
"During the past month I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on. It is not my style to do something that I'm not 100% feeling for.
"With today's decision I feel released obviously from those doubts and in the end my ambition to fight for victories and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness."
In attendance at the press conference,
Sky Sports F1's David Croft tweeted: "When I retired in 2006 Michael tells me, 'my batteries were empty and now they're in the red zone again'."
Speaking live on
Sky Sports News following the announcement Martin Brundle expressed the view that it was unfortunate for Schumacher that he hadn't been able to announce his decision to quit prior to the news Hamilton was being signed as his replacement.
"It's a shame because it would have been much better if he would have been able to announce that two or three weeks ago rather than sort of being hoofed out by Lewis Hamilton joining the team and effectively fired," Martin said. "He's now decided to retire of course for the second time.
"I don't blame him at all for coming back. He looks in incredible condition. He's driven well, he's made some clumsy mistakes, but he's also put in some great performances. Often this year outqualified Nico Rosberg, who's highly rated.
"But of course overall it's not been successful his comeback. He hasn't hadn't to immense records he created in his first career but you can't take them away from him. He is a seven-times World Champion. He has won 91 Grand Prix.
"But he has been pushed out now and it sort of feels a little bit uncomfortable."
With the three-year contract he committed to on his return to F1 in 2010 having been due to expire at the end of the season, Schumacher had reiterated for weeks that he would make a decision on his future by October.
But although last week's announcement that Mercedes had succeeded in luring Hamilton to race for the team in 2013 had appeared in effect to force the German's hand, Schumacher himself says the news actually helped him arrive at the final