Joshua vs Takam: Anthony Joshua's career-heaviest weight does not concern promoter Eddie Hearn
Friday 27 October 2017 16:10, UK
Promoter Eddie Hearn dismissed concerns about Anthony Joshua's weight after he was heavier than ever for the world title fight with Carlos Takam.
Hearn had predicted last week that Joshua could be up to a stone lighter after his Wembley win over Wladimir Klitschko in April, but believes the 28-year-old's muscular physique is still maturing with age.
"He's been light in camp," Hearn told Sky Sports. "We were up in Sheffield for the media day last week, he was probably about 17st 8 [lbs] after training 17st 9 [lbs]. Obviously he's got a chef up in the house, who is feeding him well.
"He doesn't monitor his weight, but he looks a lot leaner than the Klitschko fight and he feels a lot leaner, but he's come in heavier.
"I think his set even looks different, I think he looks more athletic and leaner in this fight. Like he said in the interview, he's not out there to make weight, he's just preparing the best way and whatever it comes on the scales it comes.
"He's growing now into a mature man. Maybe this is his natural weight? I don't think you're going to see him come in much lighter than this."