Skip to content

York racecourse has so far managed to escape the worst of the floods

Riders in the Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Stakes make their way past the grandstands at York Racecourse
Image: York has avoided the worst of the flooding

York racecourse has so far managed to escape the worst of the floods that have affected many parts of the city.

The new weighing-room and stable block that only opened in the spring have missed the flooding entirely, as have the main buildings on the grandstand side.

The only building under water is the old toilet block - which was due to be replaced in 2016 - in the centre of the course, where there is a lot of standing water.

As for the racecourse on the Knavesmire, just outside the city centre, the north bend has borne the brunt of the rain and is under nearly a metre of water.

James Brennan, head of marketing and sponsorship at the racecourse, said: "Obviously our thoughts are with the home-owners and the businesses who have been directly affected in York itself, and those in the wider county and Cumbria before us - we feel enormously for them.

"From a selfish racecourse point of view, the main buildings, the stands and the new development are still dry.

"As far as I understand it, the river levels have peaked, pending the rainfall later in the week.

Also See:

"The vast majority of the course is dry, but we don't need it (the course) until we start racing again on May 11.

"The northern bend is under water. That's the bit of the course we don't use except for races over two miles or more, and that's only for a few times a year.

"The pulling-up part of the course is pretty wet, but not fully flooded.

"For people who ask, 'Why don't York do jumps racing?', well today gives the answer.

"The course enclosure is an area that gets wet and would have been flooded the last time we say it like this in 2012.

"The drama is coming from the other side of the city, from where the River Foss has flooded. We are on the Ouse side of the city.

"The new investment in the drainage work in 2007-08 has eased things for us.

"For now, we're fine from the building side and Adrian (Kay, head groundsman) will get back on the course at some point and do what he needs to do."

Tadcaster has also been badly hit, but trainer Tom Tate, whose stables are 14 miles south of the racecourse, reports his stables unaffected.

"It hasn't affected us. We are absolutely fine," he said.

"Obviously Tadcaster itself was hit badly. It looks like some damage has been done there."

Racing BOG

Best odds guaranteed and Price Boosts every day of the week

Sky Tickets

Fast, secure racing tickets: Exclusive racing offers near you