Wimbledon's changing face
Saturday 27 June 2015 10:43, UK
-
Image: The first Wimbledon meeting is held at the Warpole Road ground in July 1877 -
Image: England pair Willie and Ernest Renshaw contest the men's singles final in 1883... -
Image: In 1922 the new Centre Court is under construction at the new site on Church Road... -
Image: ...and by the following year, a number of new courts are built at the site -
Image: In 1926, Centre Court has a very familiar feel to it -
Image: The court is under construction after being hit during the war in 1946 -
Image: A grass roller is used to flatten the Centre Court grass by 1963 -
Image: The wooden seats are put to good use during the swinging 60's -
Image: A general view of the Number One Court in 1970, which comes to us in technicolour -
Image: One thing that hasn't changed at SW19 is the rain, which comes down in 1973 -
Image: An exterior view of the ivy-covered Centre Court in 1978 -
Image: The main gates come into use as they are opened to the crowds in 1985 -
Image: An aerial view of play on Centre and No 1 in 1991... -
Image: ...and by 1997 there's a new No 1 Court... -
Image: ...which looks resplendent in the sun -
Image: Construction workers pull apart the Grandstand in 2006 for a new roof to be installed... -
Image: ...and there's a strange look to a roofless Centre Court the following year -
Image: By 2008 the roof is ready ahead of the championship -
Image: The roof is put into use under dark skies with the lights on in 2009... -
Image: ...and the view from outside is just spectacular
/