Roger Federer starts his 2016 title search at the Brisbane International
Saturday 2 January 2016 17:38, UK
Roger Federer is approaching the New Year with optimism as he prepares to defend his Brisbane International title.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion collected six titles in 2015, including the Brisbane trophy, and believes he is playing at a consistent high level after overcoming his past back problems.
World No 8 Kei Nishikori, No 14 Milos Raonic and No 28 Grigor Dimitrov are part of a competitive field in Australia and the 34-year-old Federer is ready to lock horns with his younger rivals over the next 12 months.
"The likes of Nishikori, Raonic and Dimitrov want to move now finally into the top four or five and for us, the top guys, it's about hanging on where we are right now," Federer said.
"I've been playing really well for over one and a half years - ever since I came back from my back problems in 2013.
"That's been very encouraging and now I'm just more confident than I was maybe a year ago as well."
Federer picked up the 1000th match win of his ATP career at last year's tournament, but is without a major crown since his Wimbledon triumph in 2012.
Despite the recent dominance of Novak Djokovic, who won three of the four major titles, Federer still believes he is fully capable of winning one of the top tournaments in 2016.
The Swiss star, who was beaten by Djokovic in last year's Wimbledon and US Open finals, said: "I've come so close, I've played very well, but I don't feel any frustration because of it."
"I'm still happy with how I'm playing. It was Novak's year, he played so well there's only so much (you can do) if somebody's so dominant and he's got sky-high confidence.
"It's unfortunate, a pity for me, but at the same time I don't feel sorry for myself. I've won so much throughout my career, I feel like if I keep pushing forward it might happen.
"If not, it's okay."