Kei Nishikori withdraws from Gerry Weber Open in Halle
Last Updated: 15/06/16 9:42pm
World No 6 Kei Nishikori has pulled out of the Gerry Weber Open, handing Florian Mayer a walkover at Halle.
The No 2 seed had been expected to face the German on Wednesday but told organisers he was suffering from a rib injury and was unable to compete.
"I'm very sad to not be able to go on playing," said the 26-year-old who took a medical timeout during his first-round victory over Lucas Pouille.
Nishikori said he was confident the injury would improve before the start of Wimbledon on June 27.
Mayer, as a result of his walkover, moves into the quarter-finals, with top seed Roger Federer favourite to claim a ninth Halle title this Sunday.