Roger Federer to miss US and French Opens due to surgery
Novak Djokovic expresses further doubt over the feasibility of the US Open being staged in late August
By Sky Sports News
Last Updated: 15/06/20 10:29am
Roger Federer has announced he will miss the remainder of the 2020 season after undergoing further surgery on his right knee.
The 38-year-old has not played competitively since his Australian Open semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic in January, having had his first bout of surgery the following month.
With the tennis season still under lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic, Federer has now written off the prospect of making a return until the new year.
In a message on his social media channels Federer wrote: "A few weeks ago, having experienced a setback during my initial rehabilitation, I had to have an additional quick arthroscopic procedure on my right knee.
"Now, much like I did leading up to the 2017 season, I plan to take the necessary time to be 100 per cent ready to play at my highest level.
"I will be missing my fans and the tour dearly but, I will look forward to seeing everyone back on tour at the start of the 2021 season."
The ATP Tour is on hold until at least the end of July due to the pandemic, with the US Open and French Open still set for a hectic back-to-back schedule in August and September.
Djokovic has expressed further doubt over the feasibility of the US Open being staged in late August as planned, days after he claimed it would be "impossible" to play under proposed "extreme" safety protocols.
The world No 1 has now described the possible safety measures in place in and around Flushing Meadows as not "sustainable".
Tournament organisers are planning to limit the size of player entourages to one person and there could be quarantine restrictions for people arriving from outside the US.
"Most of the players I have talked to were quite negative on whether they would go there," Djokovic told RTS, the Serbian state broadcaster.
"For me currently, as things stand, most probably the season will continue on clay at the beginning of September."
The US Tennis Association is expected to make a decision as soon as next week about whether to hold the US Open.