Skip to content

Victoria Azarenka withdraws from Australian Open

Victoria Azarenka serves against Heather Watson during their third round match on day five of Wimbledon
Image: Victoria Azarenka is the latest withdrawal from Melbourne

Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka has become the latest star to pull out of the Melbourne tournament.

The 28-year-old won the Grand Slam in 2012 and 2013 but is "unable to travel to Australia this year", organisers said.

She has previously missed tournaments owing to an ongoing child custody battle.

Azarenka, currently ranked 210 in the world, had been given a wildcard entry into the tournament, which begins on January 15.

Tennis updates straight to your phone
Tennis updates straight to your phone

How to receive all the latest tennis news straight to your mobile

Tournament director Craig Tiley tweeted: "It's unfortunate that @vika7 is unable to travel to Australia this year.

"The #AusOpen is her favourite tournament and she's looking forward to returning to Melbourne next year."

Last week, reigning ladies singles champion Serena Williams said she would not play in Melbourne.

Also See:

The former world number one said she was "super close" to being tournament-ready but reluctantly withdrew from the competition. It was due to be her first Grand Slam since giving birth to daughter Alexis Olympia in September.

Andy Murray, Kei Nishikori and Svetlana Kuznetsova have also withdrawn.

Follow the Australian Open with skysports.com
Follow the Australian Open with skysports.com

We will be covering the Australian Open on skysports.com/tennis with news, previews, live blogs, reports and expert analysis. On the move? Head to our app for mobile devices and iPad, or follow our Twitter account @SkySportsTennis