Gennady Golovkin willing to face Chris Eubank Jr, says promoter
By Mike Patterson
Last Updated: 01/07/16 12:32pm
Gennady Golovkin is willing to come to the United Kingdom to defend his three middleweight world titles against Britain's Chris Eubank Jr, according to his promoter Tom Loeffler.
Eubank Jr's promoter Eddie Hearn has already revealed he expects the fight to be made soon and Loeffler has said the two sides are now "working on finalising details".
"GGG is willing to go to the UK to defend his world titles, and it would be a huge event," Loeffler told the Associated Press. "Hopefully we can get the fight signed."
If the contest is confirmed, it would likely involve Golovkin (35-0-KO32) travelling to England in September to take on Eubank Jr (23-1-KO18), with the venue potentially the O2 Arena.
Eubank Jr moved a step closer to a showdown with Kazakhstani knockout specialist Golovkin by defending his British middleweight title with a commanding fourth-round stoppage of Tom Doran at the O2 Arena last Saturday.
In the aftermath of that victory, Eubank Jr called out the WBA Super, WBC and IBF world champion and has since enjoyed some verbal sparring with his potential opponent over social media.
Golovkin, 34, has stopped 22 consecutive opponents since 2008, dominating his division and becoming a pound-for-pound star.
Golovkin and Loeffler had been keen on a big-money showdown with Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, but the Mexican star and his promoter Oscar De La Hoya decided to vacate Alvarez's WBC middleweight title rather than take on the Kazakh. Alvarez said he would not be forced into the ring with Golovkin by "artificial deadlines".