Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez v Gennady Golovkin bout set for Las Vegas
By Michael Cantillon
Last Updated: 05/06/17 9:34pm
The hotly-anticipated contest between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will take place in Las Vegas on Mexican Independence Day, it has been announced.
The Middleweight world title clash was finally confirmed last month, and will take place on September 16 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, as GGG defends his IBF, WBA and WBC world titles, while Alvarez also puts The Ring middleweight title on the line.
"I am thrilled to return to T-Mobile Arena, and to give the fans the best fight that can be made in our sport today," Canelo said.
"I have repeatedly said that I fear no man, and I am now going to prove it by stepping into the ring against GGG. When the final bell rings, everyone will know that this is indeed the Canelo era, and that I am the best fighter in all of boxing.
"This is the type of fight I have dreamed of since I became a professional boxer,"
Alvarez will face the fearsome Kazakh having lost just once in his professional career, to Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2013.
Golovkin's trainer Abel Sanchez exclusively told Sky Sports last week that there is more than one blueprint to beat the Mexican star though.
Golovkin added: "This fight will be at a true championship level and we will give the fans an exciting fight."
The fight will be contested at a maximum of 160 pounds and will feature two of the most explosive fighters in any division in the sport today. In their combined 88 fights, 67 have ended before the final bell.
The last time Canelo stepped into the ring at T-Mobile Arena, he and Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. drew the largest number of fans, more than 20,000, to ever attend an indoor boxing event in Las Vegas.
Two-division world champion Alvarez heads into the contest with a professional record of 49-1-1, with 34 KOs, while Golovkin's unblemished record reads 37-0, with 33 KOs.