Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury ordered to agree heavyweight rematch
By Richard Damerell
Last Updated: 17/01/19 7:52am
WBC champion Deontay Wilder has been ordered to agree a deal with Tyson Fury for a heavyweight rematch.
The American retained his WBC belt after a split decision draw with Fury in December, and the WBC has informed both fighters they must finalise a second fight or a purse bid will be held on February 5, with a 60-40 split in Wilder's favour.
Britain's unified champion Anthony Joshua had hoped to face Wilder in an undisputed title clash at Wembley on April 13, but the WBC has officially enforced their champion to make his next title defence against Fury.
The statement read: "Consistent with the WBC Board of governors voting regarding the direct rematch between WBC champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury, the WBC is hereby notifying both camps that the free negotiation period is opened and if there is no agreement between the parties a purse bid will be conducted by the WBC on Tuesday February 5th .
"The WBC has modified the 70-30 split and has confirmed a 60-40 split in favor of the champion Wilder considering the market value of Fury."
Speaking in the aftermath of the draw, Fury had questioned the judges' verdict, expressing his desire to challenge Wilder again.
"Listen 100 per cent we'll do the rematch, but we're going to go away, recalculate, see what's going to happen, get back together," said Fury.
Promoter Eddie Hearn had revealed earlier in the week how Fury had also contacted him about a potential fight with Joshua at the national stadium.
"There's a man that knows he can have this fight, if he wants it," said Hearn. "I've spoken to him. He knows if he wants to fight Joshua, it can happen April 13."