Skip to content

Ryan Garcia announces he will be fighting Conor Benn in a blockbuster encounter in Las Vegas this September

Ryan Garcia has selected Conor Benn as the man he'll make his first WBC welterweight title defence against, telling Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show that the bout will take place in Las Vegas on September 12

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn: Credit AP Photo/PA.
Image: Ryan Garcia has announced he will be fighting Conor Benn in a blockbuster encounter in Las Vegas this September

Ryan Garcia has announced he will be fighting Conor Benn in a blockbuster encounter in Las Vegas on September 12th in the first defence of his WBC welterweight title.

Speaking on Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show on Monday, Garcia said his next opponent was "from the other side," drawing a puzzled look from Fallon, who wondered aloud if the foe was an alien from a UFO.

"No, he's from across the pond. I'll just say his name: Conor Benn," Garcia said. "He's talking a lot".

Garcia recounted a story of when Benn grabbed him at an awards show two years ago: "He pressed up on me, grabbed me, so it's a little personal.

"I'm going to really put a whopping on this man, and we will send him back to the UK sipping on some tea."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Conor Benn has signed a multi-fight, multi-year deal with Zuffa Boxing and says facing Ryan Garcia next for the WBC world title is a 'priority'

Garcia, 27, claimed his belt in February, dethroning Mario Barrios with a wide unanimous decision victory after flooring his man in the opening round.

Benn will return to the ring following consecutive main-event bouts against Chris Eubank Jnr at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - the first clash was the 2025 fight of the year before Benn avenged defeat in the rematch.

Also See:

Benn, 25-1 (14 KOs), returned to defeat former 140lbs champion Regis Prograis by unanimous decision on April 26 after signing a multi-year, multi-fight deal with Zuffa Boxing.

The British star is the mandatory challenger for Garcia, the WBC welterweight champion, but speaking last month, he said he is in contention to fight an array of elite opponents.

"Of course, it is the priority to get that Garcia fight done, but I am not short of options," Benn told Sky Sports.

"There are a lot of fighters calling me out, big names calling me out.

"God willing, we get the Garcia fight done for the title. I am in the No 1 position for that belt and I have worked extremely hard to get to that position.

"If Ryan doesn't want it, there are plenty of fish out there."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking on the Toe2Toe podcast, Gary Logan thinks people have been too harsh on Benn's performance against Regis Prograis

Dana White, head of Zuffa Boxing, said he was open to making a 'fun' fight between Benn and Garcia.

White told Sky Sports: "All the guys that have signed with us - we say what have you dreamed about, what do you want to do, what have been the plans with your career?

"We like to hear all those things.

"Obviously, I am about making the biggest fights you can possibly make.

"All these kids that are fighting with us see it the same way."

Don't miss Chris Billam-Smith vs Ryan Rozicki live on Sky Sports on June 6.