Skip to content
Exclusive

Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua: Contract delays raise doubts, says Fury's manager Spencer Brown

Tyson Fury's manager Spencer Brown admits concerns are growing over whether the Anthony Joshua fight will happen as delays continue; Brown says Fury is "ready to rock and roll" but fears fans could lose interest if an announcement is not made soon

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Tyson Fury's manager Spencer Brown admits he is concerned about the delay in announcing the fight against Anthony Joshua [video courtesy of Dev Sahni]

Tyson Fury's manager Spencer Brown has admitted there are growing concerns Anthony Joshua could yet walk away from their long-awaited heavyweight showdown.

On Tuesday, Netflix released a trailer during its coverage of WWE RAW labelled Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua - Coming Soon, fuelling speculation that an announcement on the blockbuster British clash could be imminent.

But the date and venue for the fight have yet to be confirmed, with negotiations continuing and Fury's camp becoming increasingly frustrated by the delay.

Fury expressed concerns over whether the Joshua fight would materialise after beating Mariusz Wach in Thailand in his final warm-up fight in July.

Speaking exclusively to Dev Sahni, Brown revealed the prolonged wait for the fight to be finalised was raising fresh doubts over whether it would happen at all.

"Everybody's got a bit of doubt in their mind," he said. "There's reasons you could think that.

"If you'd asked me a week ago, I'd have said no, but now it's a little bit concerning that things haven't progressed down the line. We need to get this fight on."

Also See:

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Tyson Fury has announced there is some 'big news' coming soon. Video credit: @tysonfury

New York's Madison Square Garden appears to be the frontrunner to host the fight despite Joshua's insistence that the contest takes place in the UK.

Brown confirmed every effort had been made to stage the fight at Wembley Stadium but conceded those hopes were fading, while warning further delays risked damaging public interest in the event.

"You can't keep flogging a dead horse, can you?" he added. "We've been flogging a dead horse for months now.

"We've waited and waited to do it at Wembley. The hope is fading that it's going to be at Wembley.

"A decision must be made. Let's get the fight on wherever it is, whether it's in Timbuktu or whether it's in Wembley Stadium.

"We just want to get it announced. People are getting bored. We're in danger of really boring people."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Eddie Hearn claimed that Anthony Joshua feels a responsibility to UK fight fans that AJ vs Fury should happen in the UK

Fury 'ready to rock and roll'

Brown insisted Fury is ready to begin training camp immediately, with the former heavyweight champion eager to finally lock in a date for the Joshua fight.

"All I can say is that we're ready to rock and roll, we're ready to fight," Brown said.

"Tyson wants to get into camp this week so we're looking for an announcement this week. We want it done. We want to get it out of the way.

"I think it's all ready to go. The bags are packed. All the team are ready to go. We've pre-empted everything. We're just waiting for the go button."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking on Toe2Toe, Joe Gallagher is backing the potential Anthony Joshua-Tyson Fury fight to take place at Madison Square Garden

Brown said Fury's confidence that the fight would happen had increased in recent weeks, although he acknowledged uncertainty remains while the final details are still being worked through.

"It's gone further and further and further. I'm sitting there convincing him that it's going to happen," Brown said.

"I think he's now more confident of it happening, a lot more confident than what we was. But he's going to fight whatever happens."

Sky Data Layer Viewer