Skip to content

Surrey duo Rory Burns and Moises Henriques injured in sickening clash at Arundel

Moises Henriques in action for Surrey
Image: Moises Henriques: Australian suffered broken jaw in collision

Sunday's T20 Blast match between Sussex and Surrey at Arundel was abandoned following a sickening clash between fielders Rory Burns and Moises Henriques.

The Surrey duo collided with each other at speed while attempting to catch a high miscued shot by Steffan Piolet.

Burns lay motionless on the turf for around 25 minutes before being put in a neck brace and taken to Chichester Hospital in an ambulance.

Henriques, meanwhile, momentarily looked up before also sinking to the ground but he later waved to the crowd while being carried to one of the three ambulances which were driven on to the outfield.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Play was abandoned in the T20 Blast game between Sussex and Surrey at Arundel after Rory Burns and Moises Henriques were taken to hospital.

Thankfully, Burns regained consciousness and went to hospital with his father who was at the match as a spectator.

Surrey later revealed that the pair were both in good spirits in hospital, but that Henriques had broken his jaw and Burns required a number of stitches.

Surrey tweeted on Sunday evening: "Latest news is that Rory and Moises are both in good spirits in hospital. Rory is waiting to have stitches on head and facial injuries.

More from Natwest T20 Blast

"Moises has broken his jaw in three places and is waiting to have an surgery will follow.

"Thank you for all your messages for the two lads...know they are very much appreciated."

Surrey also confirmed that their County Championship match against Glamorgan at Guildford will go ahead as planned on Monday.

Sussex physiotherapist John Marrale, one of the first to attend to the stricken duo, said: "Both were unconscious after the collision. Henriques was caught by Burns' knee and Burns had lacerations on the top of his head and below his eye.

"They were given oxygen and pain relief was administered by an intravenous drip before they went to hospital. Fortunately they were sitting up when they left the ground but it was a sickening incident."

Burns is a 24-year-old batsman, who can also act as a wicketkeeper, while 28-year-old all-rounder Henriques has played three Tests, six ODIs and four T20 games for Australia.

Rory Burns: Surrey batsman
Image: Rory Burns: Surrey batsman required stitches after Arundel incident

The match was not even 19 overs old at the time with hosts Sussex reaching 141-7 before the match was abandoned.

Sussex tweeted later: "Match abandoned due to the serious collision. We really appreciate your patience but the welfare of the players is of paramount importance."

Umpire Jeremy Lloyds later told Sky Sports News HQ: “It was horrendous. It was almost like slow motion and you feel helpless. The worst thing I have ever seen.

"The response was absolutely brilliant. As soon as they realised, the paramedics came out very quickly and then there was one ambulance and there was two and three and I think that’s when people realised how severe everything was.

"But the reaction time for people getting out there was absolutely fantastic.

"One can only wish them a speedy recovery. Probably with head injuries like that you just don’t know what they are going to be like in the next 48 hours but, touch wood, everything is okay.

"I think just the reaction from the crowd and from everybody involved at the ground, it was quite right that we had to abandon the game. There was no other recourse for it."   

Around Sky