Being Monty Panesar: Watch our series on the England spinner
By James Wilson
Last Updated: 02/08/17 5:06pm
"When it was his day, there was no better bowler." So says ex-England captain Nasser Hussain about Monty Panesar in our new feature on the former spinner.
Watch episode one in the video at the top of the page and episode two below as we chart Panesar's rise to the top of the professional game, including:
- How swapping from fast bowling to spin saw Panesar climb quickly through the ranks earning him a place on England's tour of India in 2006.
- Panesar's rapid Test rise after claiming his first wicket - that of Sachin Tendulkar - and how he quickly became a cult figure.
- Andrew Strauss, Ian Bell, Geraint Jones, Ashley Giles and Nasser Hussain assessing what made the spinner so effective in his pomp.
- How Panesar was desperate to improve his batting and fielding but eventually was dropped by Duncan Fletcher at the start of the 2006/07 Ashes Tour.
- What Panesar made of Shane Warne's view after the South Africa series of 2008, that the spinner had played one Test 33 times.