Nick Kyrgios tests positive for cocaine and is provisionally suspended: Australian tennis player admits to 'huge mistake'
Nick Kyrgios tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine, at an ATP tournament in Majorca in June; the 31-year-old has been provisionally suspended since August 4; he can appeal but the International Tennis Integrity Agency say he "has not done so to date"
Wednesday 19 August 2026 12:21, UK
Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after failing a doping test, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) has announced.
The Australian player gave a sample at an ATP tournament in Majorca in June that tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
"I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it," Kyrgios said in a post on Instagram on Wednesday.
- Not got Sky? Latest Sky Sports deals or stream tennis with no contract
- Download Sky Sports app for analysis, news and video
"I'm sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I'm sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I'm deeply disappointed in myself."
Cocaine is banned in competition and former Wimbledon finalist Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended since August 4.
Kyrgios is banned from playing and attending tournaments pending the outcome of a tribunal that will assess his case.
The ITIA said Kyrgios can also appeal the suspension "but has not done so to date".
The 31-year-old, a Wimbledon finalist in 2022, has been plagued by injuries over the last four years which has seen him play only twice in the main draw of a Grand Slam since that run in South West London.
Kyrgios has played just four singles matches this season, adding in his Instagram post that he's felt "helpless and alone" during his battles with injury.
"I'm not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I've been," he said. "The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally.
"My body hasn't been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined... letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I've ever had to face.
"At times I've felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did."
Kyrgios is currently ranked 919th in the world. He was given a wild card to play doubles at Wimbledon last month and lost in the first round with partner Alexander Bublik.
Controversial Kyrgios' career timeline
- 2013: Turns professional after winning the Australian Open boys' singles title in January of that year
- 2014: Announces himself to the world on his Wimbledon debut by upsetting world No 1 Rafael Nadal in the fourth round when just 19 years old.
- July 2015: Criticised for his behaviour and comments at Wimbledon, including accusations of 'tanking' in fourth-round loss to Richard Gasquet.
- August 2015: Fined and given 28-day suspended ban for controversial comments about Stan Wawrinka's then-girlfriend, women's player Donna Vekic.
- October 2016: Criticised for his effort during a defeat to Mischa Zverev at Shanghai Masters. Receives an eight-week suspension, which was later reduced.
- October 2016: Reaches his career-high singles ranking of 13th in the world in October after claiming his first three of seven career ATP titles in the same year - wins in Marseille, Atlanta, and Tokyo.
- June 2018: Fined for inappropriate behaviour during Queen's semi-final match against Marin Cilic after TV cameras caught him using his water bottle to simulate a lewd act during a changeover.
- May 2019: Throws a chair onto the court during the Rome Masters and is defaulted from his match against Casper Ruud.
- January 2022: Wins the Australian Open men's doubles title with fellow Australian and good friend Thanasi Kokkinakis.
- July 2022: Reaches his first Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, which he loses in four sets to Novak Djokovic. His run is not without controversy as he is twice fined for his behaviour, for spitting towards a spectator in his first-round match with Paul Jubb and for an audible obscenity during a fiery third-round encounter with Stefanos Tsitsipas.
- January 2023: Undergoes knee surgery, beginning a prolonged period of injury problems that has limited him to only one Grand Slam appearance since.
- February 2023: Has an assault charge dismissed by a magistrate after pleading guilty to shoving over his ex-girlfriend in 2021.
- July 2023: Withdraws from Wimbledon because of a wrist injury, having hoped to match or even improve on his run to the final the prior year.
- August 2026: Provisionally suspended after a sample given at an ATP tournament in Majorca in June tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
Watch the ATP and WTA Tours live on Sky Sports. The US Open is also live on Sky Sports from August 30. Stream tennis with NOW.