Venus Williams joins sister Serena Williams and fellow American Sofia Kenin in withdrawing from US Open
Venus Williams and Sofia Kenin add to growing list of players to pull out of the US Open; Serena Williams and Simona Halep among women's withdrawals; Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and defending men's champion Dominic Thiem also out; Grand Slam begins next week at Flushing Meadows
Last Updated: 26/08/21 7:55am
Venus Williams will miss the upcoming US Open due to injury, becoming the third American female after her sister Serena and Sofia Kenin to announce they would not take part.
Two-time US Open champion and former world No 1 Venus made the announcement in a video posted on social media.
"Not the best news from Serena and I today," she said.
"I, too, am unable to play the US Open. It's super, super, super disappointing, having some issues with my leg all this summer and just couldn't work through it."
The 41-year-old, who has seven Grand Slam titles to her name, said she would miss competing at her "favourite slam" and wished all the other players good luck.
Not the best news everyone. I am joining @serenawilliams @RafaelNadal and @rogerfederer on the injured list. It’s still going to be a great US Open & many thanks to the @usta for the wild card. I was so looking forward to it, but it was not meant to be this year. I will be back! pic.twitter.com/s0PRgdSSx2— Venus Williams (@Venuseswilliams) August 25, 2021
Earlier on Wednesday, younger sister Serena withdrew with a torn hamstring, making it the first time since 2003 that neither has appeared at the tournament in Flushing Meadows.
Fifth seed and 2020 Australian Open champion Kenin withdrew from the competition with a COVID-19 infection, despite being vaccinated.
Hi guys.. I am writing with disappointing news. Recently, I tested positive for Covid-19. Fortunately I am vaccinated and thus my symptoms have been fairly mild. However I have continued to test positive and thus will not be able to compete at the US Open next week. 1/2— Sofia Kenin (@SofiaKenin) August 26, 2021
"I am writing with disappointing news," Kenin wrote on Twitter.
"Recently, I tested positive for Covid-19. Fortunately I am vaccinated and thus my symptoms have been fairly mild. However I have continued to test positive and thus will not be able to compete at the US Open next week.
"I plan to spend the next several weeks getting healthy and preparing to play well this fall. Thank you all for supporting me. I want to wish all the players the best of luck in New York."
The 22-year-old Kenin, who also goes by Sonya, is one of an impressive crop of young Americans in the game, along with Jennifer Brady, Coco Gauff, Jessica Pegula and Danielle Collins.
US Open main draw matches begin on Monday.