Dillian Whyte beats Ian Lewison to win the British title

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Dillian Whyte stopped Ian Lewison after 10 rounds to claim the British heavyweight title at his second attempt

Dillian Whyte stopped Brixton rival Ian Lewison in the 10th round to win the vacant British heavyweight title in Glasgow.

It was all on the line for the two south London rivals who, after being embroiled in a war of words leading up to the fight, were battling for Brixton 'bragging rights' as well as the coveted vacant British belt.

Jamaican-born Whyte, 28, proved too strong for his senior foe as he patiently marched towards a late stoppage victory, landing heavy body shots throughout the fight that continued to cause damage.

Dillian Whyte v Ian Lewison
Image: Dillian Whyte and Ian Lewison battle from the centre of the ring

It was Lewison who started the fight in more confident fashion as he drove forward and looked for that one big knockout punch early on.

Whyte took slightly longer to get going and in the second round started to work behind a fast jab to get into his rhythm and set up some heavy attacks with his more effective boxing ability.

Watch NOW TV

Watch NOW TV

Watch Sky Sports for just £6.99. No contract.

As the fight continued, Whyte became more and more dominant and regularly had his foe backed up on the ropes as the body shots reaped havoc.

Lewison's right eye appeared damaged in the seventh round as the 'Body Snatcher' maintained control and the sharpness of his shot selection, including a slick left jab, began to take effect.

Also See:

Dillian Whyte
Image: Dillian Whyte sits on his ropes as Lewison marches forward

In the 10th, Lewison's nose started to also bust up as Whyte landed flush on his opponent and at the end of the round, trainer Don Charles decided to pull his charge out of the fight.

Whyte will next be looking at a fight with another London foe in Dereck Chisora to round off the year, before he chases potential world honours in 2017.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the fight, he said: "It means a lot to win this belt and there was no way that I was going to lose tonight.

"Ian is a tough fighter and I knew it would be a hard-fought fight, I knew he wasn't just going to quit early on.

"Once I saw his nose going later on in the fight I stuck with the jab and kept poking it out with great effect and it was causing a lot of damage.

"I can now move on and fight Chisora in December and then get a world title shot next year - I want to give my fans good fights."

You can watch England's tour of Bangladesh, plus Premier League football and the Japan Grand Prix on Sky Sports. Upgrade now and enjoy three months at half price!

Around Sky