Anthony Ogogo facing spell out after fracturing eye socket
By Andy Charles
Last Updated: 24/10/16 10:48pm
Anthony Ogogo was retired from his fight against Craig Cunningham on Saturday because of a fractured eye socket.
The middleweight (11-1-KO7) suffered the first defeat of his career against Cunningham in Birmingham, with his corner calling the WBC international middleweight title fight off in the eighth round.
Ogogo had been knocked down in the second and was reported to be suffering with blurred vision when the fight was brought to a halt and his team said on Monday that a specialist believes the injury had been caused before the Cunningham fight even started.
The 27-year-old, a bronze medallist the 2012 Olympics in London, now faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines for the third time in his professional career, having only fought once from July 2014 until May 2016 because of Achilles and shoulder problems.
He said in a statement: "Firstly I would like to congratulate Craig Cunningham, his coach John Pegg and all of his team. They showed true class and I take nothing away from them. Despite what is an incredibly difficult time for me it was a pleasure to box in Birmingham.
"After seeing an eye specialist today it turns out that I have fractured my eye socket in two places. Given this, my vision and balance were affected to the point that I had to be pulled out.
"As soon as I went back to the corner after the first round I realised something was wrong, although at the time was unaware of the extent of it.
"Despite being bitterly disappointed I would like to thank my corner for pulling me out. Boxing is a tough sport and despite wanting to try and get through the fight on Saturday I realise my health must come first.
"This is obviously an incredibly tough time for me. I have overcome a lot of adversity previously and now face an uncertain time in terms of my eyesight with now another mountain to climb. However, I am ready for the challenge and will be giving everything I have to get back in the ring and to achieve my full potential."
Ogogo's promoter Kalle Sauerland hopes a rematch with Cunningham can be arranged when his fighter is back at 100 per cent fitness.
He said: "It was clear from the first round that Ant had difficulties finding his range and timing and that something was off.
"This is a very serious injury similar to that which Mikkel Kessler suffered during the Super Six and we will now focus on recovery before launching a comeback in 2017. Perhaps directly with a rematch if that can be made. Hats off to Cunningham and his team for taking full advantage and boxing superbly."