Whyte vs Rivas: Oscar Rivas has vowed to destroy Dillian Whyte's world-title ambitions
"I don't give predictions, but I can say this, I'm going to be the last man standing"
By Richard Damerell
Last Updated: 28/04/19 3:17pm
Oscar Rivas has vowed to destroy Dillian Whyte's world-title ambitions as he expects to be the "last man standing" in their summer showdown at The O2.
The undefeated Colombian has been confirmed as the next opponent for Whyte on July 20, live on Sky Sports Box Office, in a high-stakes clash between two rival heavyweight contenders in London.
Whyte is within touching distance of a world-title shot, having earned his status as the WBC's No 1-ranked fighter, but Rivas plans to stake his claim to face the biggest names in the division.
"That's the main reason why I took that fight," Rivas told Sky Sports. "That ranking is really important and I want people to know me.
I'll show that I have the tools to fight either Joshua, Fury, Wilder, all the great champions.
"With a known name as Dillian Whyte and a good ranking like that, that's the two main reasons why I took this fight.
"I see myself in a world championship fight soon. I'm going to concentrate on that fight, but a win over Whyte, I'll show that I have the tools to fight either Joshua, Fury, Wilder, all the great champions.
"I can definitely see myself with a star like Joshua."
All three of Whyte's fights last year produced fireworks as he knocked out Lucas Browne in March, floored Joseph Parker for the first time in a July points win, and then dramatically stopped Derek Chisora in a December rematch.
But Rivas blasted out world-title challenger Bryant Jennings in January and firmly believes he can overwhelm Whyte in another crushing knockout win.
"Whyte is a really strong guy, but I think with my technique, my speed, my power, my experience, I'm going to get on top," said Rivas. "That's a guy that I can beat, but he's strong, so I have to be very well prepared, and I will be.
"It's going to be an explosive fight. I cannot wait until the bell rings and then I'm going to make sure that I'm going to continue my rise. I know that Whyte is going to try to make me lose my first fight, but it won't happen.
"I don't give predictions, but I can say this, I'm going to be the last man standing."
Ahead of his first professional bout in Britain, Rivas was warned by Whyte about entering his "hunting ground", although the Canada-based fighter is relishing the challenge of travelling to the backyard of the 'The Body Snatcher'.
"The crowd is going to be excited of course," said Rivas. "I know they are going to root for the local guy, but for me it doesn't matter because there is only three people in the ring. Me, my opponent and the referee.
"It's going to be fun, but it won't change nothing of what will happen in the ring. What will happen in the ring is the continuation of my good work and my training camp."
Watch Dillian Whyte versus Oscar Rivas at The O2 on July 20, live on Sky Sports Box Office.