Skip to content

Max Verstappen: Red Bull driver suggests proposed 2027 rule changes could convince him to stay in F1

Max Verstappen is more positive about his future in Formula 1 after the FIA announced they were are set to tweak the 2027 engine regulations; watch the Canadian Grand Prix on Sky Sports F1 this weekend, with Practice at 5.30pm and Sprint Qualifying live at 9.30pm on Friday

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff was seen chatting with Jos Verstappen in the paddock as speculation continues over son Max's future at Red Bull

Max Verstappen has suggested tweaks to the 2027 Formula 1 regulations could convince him to remain in the sport.

Verstappen revealed at the end of March he was considering walking away from F1 at the end of this season due to frustrations about the new 2026 power unit rules which forced the drivers to drive in an unnatural way to optimise lap time.

The FIA tweaked the regulations for the last race in Miami but agreed with the teams during the break ahead of this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix to increase the proportion of total power coming from the internal combustion engine and decrease the electrical output.

The power split would become closer to 60-40 under the 2027 changes in a reduction of the electrical power element, thus leading to a return to last year's driving style.

Once power unit manufacturers have voted on the final agreed package, the measures will go to World Motor Sport Council to be rubber-stamped, a regulatory process which is likely to be a formality at that stage.

"It's definitely heading into a very positive direction. I think it's the minimum I was hoping for. I think it's really nice that's what they want to do. That's definitely what I think also the sport needs," said Verstappen, who has a Red Bull contract until the end of 2028.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Max Verstappen sarcastically waves at Pierre Gasly after being overtaken by the Alpine at the Japanese Grand Prix.

Asked if it will boost his chances of staying in F1 next year, he added: "Yeah, definitely. I just want a good product in Formula 1, and that will for sure improve the product.

Also See:

"What I said before with the changes, hopefully that will happen next year, that will already help a lot. I've always said it doesn't matter if I had a good car or not, it's just a product, and I think the product will improve like that, so naturally I think then the enjoyment will go up as well."

Verstappen was the most vocal critic of the current power unit regulations but most of the grid have expressed concerns about not being able to push to the limit, particularly in qualifying.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix, Max Verstappen reflected on his experience at the Nurburgring 24 Hours endurance race

But Verstappen says the FIA has listened to the drivers, which has been one of the most positive aspects of the rules discussions this year.

The Red Bull driver said: "The more you achieve in the sport, I think, actually, you have maybe have a bit more of a voice. In the beginning of the year, I had a few meetings with F1, and then, of course, with other drivers, with the FIA as well, and it's just great that they open-minded and they listen to the drivers.

"I think we speak, or at least most of us speak, in the interest of the sport, and we just want to make it a better product, and that's why you come up with the recommendations, and I think what they are trying to do is definitely the right thing."

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Martin Brundle believes the Canadian Grand Prix could deliver drama this year, as the new F1 cars face the challenges of the circuit’s demanding layout

Norris, Antonelli agree with F1 direction for 2027

Reigning world champion Lando Norris has also been concerned about the regulations this year. At the third round in Japan he did not want to overtake the driver in front due to complexities around the power unit system which meant not overtaking would be a potential benefit.

"I certainly think that's a great direction. We all welcome that as drivers. We all want that," he said regarding the agreement to change the 2027 engine design.

"I think that will eliminate a lot of the talks that we have about not going on throttle here and doing this and that.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Lando Norris has urged McLaren to keep pushing as they look to overhaul Mercedes at the front of the grid

"Maybe it's not the perfect world that we all want. But it certainly will be in the correct direction, I would say. That's what we want for the future. It's what we want for racing. It's what all of us want as drivers.

"The FIA are doing as much as they can. You still have to try and please a lot of people. But if you want the sport to be better. If you want the racing to be better. If you want the drivers to be better and happier, that's certainly the correct direction to go."

Mercedes have won all four races so far this season and have extracted the most from the new power unit regulations, with Kimi Antonelli leading the Drivers' Championship.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Having won the last three races, Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli is confident he can maintain his recent good form as he looks to win a maiden World Championship

Even though Mercedes have the fastest car with the current rules, Antonelli is still happy the rules are set to change next year.

"I definitely cannot complain about the PU and everything. But for sure, at the end of the day, we all want the sport to go in the right direction. We all want the best for the sport," said the Italian.

"There's a lot of talking with the FIA, with all the teams. Everyone seems to be very open, ourselves included, to make changes to improve the sport, so for sure let's see what's going to happen, if the change is going to be official.

"It's going to be more similar to what it was last year, so let's see. Definitely in terms of from a driving point of view, it will be much more natural."

Sky Sports F1's Canadian GP schedule

Friday May 22
1.55pm: F1 Academy Practice
3pm: F2 Practice
5pm: Canadian GP Practice One (session starts at 5.30pm)*
6.55pm: F2 Qualifying*
7.40pm: Team Bosses' Press Conference*
9pm: Canadian GP Sprint Qualifying (session starts at 9.30pm)*
10.55pm: F1 Academy Qualifying*

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

A look back at the wildest moments caught on the onboard camera at the Canadian Grand Prix

Saturday May 23
2.40pm: F1 Academy Race 1
4pm: Canadian GP Sprint build-up
5pm: CANADIAN GP SPRINT
6.30pm: Ted's Sprint Notebook
7pm: F2 Sprint*
8.10pm: Canadian GP Qualifying build-up*
9pm: CANADIAN GP QUALIFYING*
11pm: F1 Academy Race 2*
11.45pm: Ted's Qualifying Notebook*

Sunday May 24
3.40pm: F1 Academy Race 3
5pm: F2 Feature Race
7.30pm: Canadian GP build-up: Grand Prix Sunday*
9pm: THE CANADIAN GRAND PRIX*
11am: Canadian GP reaction: Chequered Flag*
12am: Ted's Notebook*

*Also on Sky Sports Main Event

Formula 1 heads to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix and another Sprint weekend. Watch live on Sky Sports F1 from this Friday. Stream Sky Sports with NOW - no contract, cancel anytime