Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has confirmed the club are moving ahead with transfer plans, despite no new director of football being appointed.
Joe Kinnear's controversial seven-month tender came to an end in February, and the club look unlikely to replace him.
Instead Pardew has confirmed talks with chief scout Graham Carr and owner Mike Ashley have been progressing well.
With club secretary Lee Charnley expected to take a more hands-on-approach in negotiations, Pardew seems happy with the status-quo.
"I'm pretty sure about what I think we need," said Pardew.
"We've started that process. We started it last week and the process of bringing players in here now is very much on-going.
"In terms of will I look at things before the end of the season, yes, I will, with certain players.
"Myself, chief scout Graham Carr and our scouting team had a meeting and we have some targets we need to concentrate our minds on.
"In terms of realistic targets I think it's fair to say they are there. Obviously we need to present it to Mike at some stage and hope that it makes sense financially."
Meanwhile, as Pardew continues his stadium ban on Saturday, he revealed that he would be watching Saturday's game with Crystal Palace at the club's training ground after watching their defeat to Fulham last week in the team's hotel.
"I didn't get angry. I had different feelings. I had like a butterfly feeling when you're watching your favourite team play. I never get that as a manager, so it was a bit strange," he said.
"Before a game I know my preparation is good and I'm confident my team can win whoever we're playing against. I have an assurance about how I feel, but maybe because I was detached from the game I was a bit more nervous."