All the latest Newcastle transfer news, rumours and gossip, as new manager Eddie Howe looks to improve his squad in the January transfer window...
Who is the latest players linked with move?
Bayern Munich and Germany great Thomas Muller has emerged as a shock transfer target for Newcastle United and one other Premier League team, according to reports in Germany (Daily Star, January 27).
Newcastle have agreed a fee with Lyon in the region of £30m to sign midfielder Bruno Guimaraes. It is understood the Brazil international will undergo a medical in his homeland on Wednesday. However, Lyon have released a statement denying an agreement has been reached (Sky Sports News, January 26).
Newcastle are leading the chase to sign Dele Alli this month but Brighton, Burnley and Everton are among a clutch of Premier League teams poised to move for the midfielder if he is still at Tottenham at the start of next week (Daily Mail, January 26).
Newcastle are interested in signing Brighton centre-back Dan Burn. One source has told Sky Sports News that a £7m bid has been made (Sky Sports News, January 26).
Newcastle in four-way tussle to snare Szalai?
Sky Sports' Dharmesh Sheth on Attila Szalai:
"He's attracting interest from the Premier League and Serie A, including from Newcastle, West Ham and AC Milan.
"Last month, the Hungary coach - Marco Rossi - said he believed that Szalai was joining Chelsea. He put that out there, we made a few calls and it was a bit presumptuous, not to say that Chelsea wouldn't be in the market for a player like him.
"We think they have still got a bit of an interest him, given the situation with their central defenders, particularly Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christiansen, whose contracts are up at the end of the season, Cesar Azpilicueta as well.
"What do we know about Szalai? He's a left-footed central defender, which is a position that a lot of clubs are in the market for. He's 23-years-old and his contract at Fenerbahce runs until the summer of 2025 and so we understand that it would take a fee of around 15-20 million Euros to prise him away from them in this transfer window.
"He comes with good pedigree, though. He played every minute of Hungary's Euro 2020 campaign and I think they impressed quite a few people in that tournament."
Could Marcos Senesi be next arrival?
Newcastle have been linked with Feyenoord's Argentine defender Marcos Senesi.
South American football expert Tim Vickery:
"I liked him a lot in Argentina with San Lorenzo and I could never understand why more of a fuss wasn't made about him before the pandemic.
"Whenever I went down to Argentina before the pandemic, the coach driver who picked me up was a San Lorenzo fan and our main topic of conversation every week was 'why isn't Senesi more talked about and why isn't he in the national team?'
"He's a left-sided centre-back but it's Nicolas Otamendi still in that position for Argentina. He's classy, he anticipates well and plays out from the back well.
"I've not seen him since he went to Feyenoord but he seems to have done pretty well there. I wouldn't know how he's going to get on against quicker, stronger strikers in the Premier League but if Newcastle went down this route, it would be a lot cheaper than signing Diego Carlos of Sevilla."
Who else have they been linked with?
Jesse Lingard is furious with Manchester United after revelations that any deal to loan him to Newcastle United would cost the St James' Park club more than £1m a week because of a significant survival bonus (Daily Mail, January 27). Newcastle United have all but given up hope of signing Jesse Lingard with one source telling Sky Sports News the deal is now dead. Meanwhile, Newcastle will be able to sign Diego Carlos if they offer Sevilla €45m (£37.7m) for the centre-back (Sky Sports News, January 25).
Newcastle will hold a meeting on Monday to assess where they are with their transfer targets, with just over a week remaining in the window (Daily Mail, January 24).
Personal terms are being discussed on a £16m transfer for the Holland international left back Mitchel Bakker (Daily Mail, January 24).
Ousmane Dembele is coming under consideration as a possible target this month. Barcelona want their contract rebel to go so they can recoup an £18m fee and lose his high salary (Daily Mail, January 24).
Newcastle are leading the chase to sign James Tarkowski but will need to bid big for the defender if they want to land him in January (The Sun on Sunday, January 23).
Newcastle will hold fresh talks on Sunday over a move for Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma (The Mail on Sunday, January 23).
Newcastle United and Watford are considering making a loan move for Leicester midfielder Hamza Choudhury (Daily Mail, January 22).
Newcastle United have joined a long list of teams interested in concluding a January move for Olympiakos and Senegal defender Pape Abou Cisse, who has impressed at the Africa Cup of Nations (The Sun, January 22).
Atalanta are toying with the idea of cashing in on Robin Gosens, with the left-sided Germany international already being scouted by Newcastle (Daily Mirror, January 20); Newcastle are expected to make an offer to Atalanta for wing-back Gosens (Mail on Sunday, January 16).
Newcastle are hoping to complete a deal to sign Atalanta striker Duvan Zapata on loan until the end of the season after it emerged the striker is keen on a move (Sunday Express, January 23).
Tottenham could use Giovani Lo Celso as bait to try and beat Newcastle United to the signing of Sevilla defender Diego Carlos (The Sun, January 27). Carlos still hoping Sevilla and Newcastle can agree a deal for him to move to St James' Park. The player is aware that time is running out. He respects Sevilla's position that they will not let him go unless their valuation is met (Sky Sports News, January 25).
Newcastle could see their hopes of a successful move for Diego Carlos given a welcome boost over the next few days, with the player's representatives having entered into crisis talks with Sevilla director Monchi (Sunday Express, January 23). Newcastle are moving closer to a deal for Diego Carlos, but still face competition to sign the Sevilla defender from another Premier League club (Sky Sports News, January 20);
Aaron Ramsey is reported to have upset his Juventus employers by rejecting the chance of a loan move to big-spending Newcastle as well as two other Premier League clubs (The Sun, January 20);
Newcastle will have to break their transfer record for Lille centre-back Sven Botman (Sun on Sunday, January 16); Newcastle are maintaining contact with Lille over defender Botman (Daily Mail, January 14). Newcastle's hopes of signing Botman in January could be over, with Lille refusing to consider the Magpies' offer for the defender (The Athletic, January 11).
Newcastle United, Everton and Wolves are interested in Manchester United's wantaway midfielder Donny van de Beek (Daily Mirror, January 22); Manchester United have offered Donny van de Beek on loan to Newcastle and Borussia Dortmund with the Dutchman struggling for game time at Old Trafford (Manchester Evening News, January 13).
Confirmed Newcastle signings
Kieran Trippier - Atletico Madrid, £15m
Chris Wood - Burnley, £25m
Confirmed Newcastle departures
Rosaire Longelo - Accrington, undisclosed
Who will be on the move in January?
The January transfer window opens on Saturday January 1, 2022 and closes at 11pm on Monday January 31.
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and rumours in our dedicated Transfer Centre blog on Sky Sports' digital platforms. You can also catch up with the ins, outs and analysis on Sky Sports News.