Skip to content

Mann hopes for tariff resolution

Image: Charlie Mann: Hopeful of reaching agreement

Charlie Mann remains optimistic of reaching an agreement in the dispute over prize-money levels following the boycott of a race last week.

Latest Racing Stories

Activist hopes for accord in dispute

Lambourn based handler Charlie Mann remains hopeful of reaching an agreement in the dispute over prize-money levels that saw a boycott of a race last week. Mann organised a successful protest of a race at Worcester, a track that is owned by the recently amalgamated Arena and Northern Racing Group. Action was taken by trainers with runners in the partex-direct.co.uk Novices' Hurdle as the race fell below the level set out in the Horsemen's Group tariff by £900. With the backing of his colleagues, Mann arranged for 11 of the 12 runners being withdrawn, resulting in a walkover for Moulin De La Croix, trained by Nigel Twiston-Davies. Mann held talks with Arena and Northern Racing representatives Ian Renton and Jim Allen on Monday, and said today: "The offer they have made us is everything up to tariff from October 1 onwards and a certain amount of races between now and then they will raise up to tariff as well. "I've not been able to talk to Ian Renton today, but I'm hoping we can do a bit better than October 1.

Big Success

"The protest has been a big success in that we've had an offer from him and it's a question now of getting the t's crossed and the i's dotted. "We haven't finished discussions yet and hopefully we can move it forward from October 1. "There are a lot of independent courses that are still under tariff, at Bangor and places like that. There's a lot to be done yet. "The one thing we did prove last week is that it has worked and it has had an impact. There a lot of other courses under tariff and we will keep it up. "At the end of the day we've made this protest for the good of racing." In response to the trainers' Worcester protest, the British Horseracing Authority have decided not to take disciplinary measures - but have warned that a repeat would lead to charges against those involved. Jamie Stier, director of raceday operations and regulation, said in a statement: "We have written to the National Trainers Federation confirming that no further action will be taken, while also requesting that they advise their members that a repeat would result in charges being brought for acting in a manner prejudicial to the proper conduct and reputation of horseracing.
Disrespectful
"Quite apart from the direct impact on the owners and trainers of the 19 horses who were balloted out, thereby removing any chance of their being able to run, the BHA considers the trainers' actions to be disrespectful to the race-going and betting public. "We have asked the NTF to advise their members that, should they wish to continue to protest about levels of prize money, they should find a way of doing so which does not involve abusing the race entry and declaration process or any other Rules of Racing upon which the proper conduct of horseracing depends. "If there is a repeat of the incident, the BHA will not hesitate to bring charges under Rule (A)30.1 or any other relevant Rules. "Finally, we also requested that the NTF remind trainers that it is the BHA's goal to ensure that there is a framework recognised across the industry, and embedded in the Rules if necessary, that provides horsemen with a fair and appropriate share of all the revenues generated within Racing. "The BHA is committed to working towards this goal with the objective of achieving the desired outcomes at the earliest possible time."
Short-Sighted
Mann did not expect the BHA to bring charges on this occasion. "I think it would have been short-sighted of them (BHA) to charge us," he said. "We have got funds to pay for our fines from the Worcester race. We've got £3,000 in the kitty because of the walkover. "We made a point and it's worked very well. We achieved what we set out to do and it's been a big success." He revealed that a second race was a possibility for a further boycott should the issue drag on. "We've got a race targeted for next week if need be, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. I didn't want to boycott a race, but what we did was the right thing to do," said Mann. "It shouldn't have come to that in the first place. What we did at Worcester last week worked. If we need to do it again we will."