Racing: New steroid policy delayed
Friday 19 December 2014 14:54, UK
Full implementation of the British Horseracing Authority's enhanced, zero-tolerance policy on steroids has been delayed until March next year.
In the wake of last year's Mahmood Al Zarooni scandal, when Certify was one of more than a dozen horses suspended from racing for six months, as well as the case of Newmarket trainer Gerard Butler and the Sungate treatment, the BHA compiled a major project on the topic and was aiming for it to be implemented by January 1, 2015.
The policy includes that a horse must never be administered with an anabolic steroid at any time from birth to retirement and also gives the BHA greater powers in terms of access for testing registered horses.
Horses must also be registered from a younger age, the BHA must be aware of their whereabouts at all times and a more stringent 14-month stand-down period will be imposed for any horses found to have been administered with anabolic steroids.
The policy will also provide greater controls on horses running in Great Britain from international jurisdictions.
The BHA said in a statement the reason for the deferral is to allow more time to work with stakeholders, trainers and owners in particular, to clarify certain elements of the new rules and to secure consensus from all affected parties.
These elements include the definition of a "responsible person", i.e. the individual with the responsibility for ensuring that a horse is not administered with an anabolic steroid at any given time.
These outstanding issues are being resolved in consultation with the Racehorse Owners Association (ROA), National Trainers Federation (NTF) and Thoroughbred Breeders' Association (TBA).
Rupert Arnold, NTF chief executive, said: "The National Trainers Federation fully supports the BHA's general policy on anabolic steroids and we are keen for its implementation to run smoothly.
"Unfortunately some practical issues remain unresolved so we welcome the BHA's decision to delay the introduction until these are ironed out.
"We are committed to working with all the parties involved to ensure the rules and procedures achieve the agreed objectives."
Richard Wayman, ROA chief executive, said: "The Racehorse Owners Association unequivocally supports a zero tolerance approach to anabolic steroids but we recognise application of the new policy is not without its challenges including, for example, establishing who is responsible for a horse when it is not stabled with its trainer or owner.
"Delaying implementation for a short period of time to allow such issues to be fully worked through is eminently sensible as the priority must be to ensure the new Rules operate as intended and also that they are fully communicated to those directly involved before they become effective."
Jamie Stier, Director of Raceday Operations and Regulation for BHA, said: "This is a complex issue and while we are disappointed not to be in a position to launch on January 1, I have no doubt that we are doing the right thing in not trying to rush its introduction.
"Extending our regulatory powers beyond that of horses in the care or control of licensed personnel is critical to the success of the policy. It is also critical that there is no scope for any subsequent misunderstandings about who is responsible for a horse at any point before or during its racing career.
"We appreciate the patience and cooperation of the parties concerned on this matter and we will work with them to find consensus prior to implementation".
The BHA said its intention was that horses born on or after January 1 and intended for British racing will not be registered without it being declared that they have never been administered with such a substance at any point in their life.