Brumbies lock Shawn Mackay has been placed in a medically induced coma after being hit by an armed response vehicle in Durban.
Brumbies star in "serious but stable" condition following accident
Brumbies lock Shawn Mackay has been placed in a medically induced coma after being hit by an armed response vehicle in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The 26-year-old is currently being treated in a Durban hospital with severe spinal, head and leg injuries.
Mackay was knocked down as he and a group of team-mates were returning to their hotel in the early hours after the 35-14 defeat to the Sharks on Saturday.
Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan says Mackay underwent surgery on Sunday at St Augustine Hospital.
Brumbies team doctor Warren McDonald said Mackay was in a serious but stable condition and had been placed in a coma.
"Shawn has sustained severe head and leg injuries but has received first-class medical treatment from the time of the accident," McDonald said in a statement on the
Brumbies website.
Treatment
"He is currently in a critical condition but is stable and we won't know the full extent of his injuries until he is brought out of a coma in two days time."
Team manager Rob McQuade says Mackay, who joined the Brumbies at the start of the season from the NSW Waratahs, has been placed in traction and will be in a coma for the next two days.
"They are very serious injuries as a result of the accident that occurred last night," he said.
"Having come out of surgery he's in traction in a medically induced coma, which he will be kept in for the next 48 hours or so, as he undergoes further treatment on his injuries."
He says the long term health recovery of Mackay is uncertain.
"Being in a medically-induced coma for the next 48 hours its really now just a case of waiting for the outcome of that surgery to see what that will provide."