South Africa coach Allister Coetzee does not fear sack
By Paul Vinnell
Last Updated: 27/11/16 12:07pm
South Africa coach Allister Coetzee accepted the sack was a real possibility after overseeing a woeful 2016 for the Springboks.
But he insisted he alone was not responsible for a desperate run of results that culminated with Saturday's 27-13 defeat by Wales in Cardiff.
It was South Africa's eighth Test loss of 2016 - the most they have ever suffered in a calendar year - with the season yielding just four wins from 12 full internationals.
On the way they suffered their heaviest home defeat of all time, going down 57-15 to world champions New Zealand in Durban in October, while last week's 20-18 reverse in Florence was their first ever defeat to Italy.
Although Coetzee was appointed on a four-year contract after succeeding Heyneke Meyer following last year's World Cup, it is hard to see how he will remain in post for much longer.
"I don't fear anything, to be honest," said Coetzee. "Collectively, we've got to understand that it's not just one person that can take responsibility for that.
"If I'm solely held responsible for that, then I will walk away."
Minutes after the final whistle, SA Rugby president Mark Alexander announced plans for a wide-ranging review, where the "number one priority is a turnaround strategy for the Springbok team".
Coetzee said: "We need to get the standards up. The Springbok stands for excellence. We need to make sure that whatever systems we put in place will give the players a platform to achieve excellence."
Upgrade to Sky Sports now and get 12 months half price. Hurry, offer ends December 4!