Toulon won't offer Leigh Halfpenny new contract because of international absences
Tuesday 13 June 2017 16:16, UK
Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal says the Top 14 club will not be offering a new contract to Wales and Lions full-back Leigh Halfpenny.
Halfpenny's deal with the French side comes to an end this summer and Boudjellal said his international commitments made it tough for Toulon to extend him.
The 28-year-old was unavailable for their Top 14 final clash with Clermont Auvergne last month as he had linked up with the Lions squad in New Zealand.
He had been in good form for Toulon after spending the best part of a year on the sidelines with the serious knee injury which ruled him out of the 2015 Rugby World Cup.
"I did not want to extend it [Halfpenny's contract]," Boudjellal said on RMC Sport.
"It is not for nothing. It the fault of the international system and internationals being absent too often.
"If he had stayed he would have returned in early August and missed the first three games because he could not have played for a month."