Newcastle and Chelsea in talks over Kenedy loan deal
By Richard Cooke
Last Updated: 10/08/17 3:14pm
Newcastle are in talks with Chelsea over bringing winger Kenedy to St James’ Park on a season-long loan.
Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez met the Brazilian in London on Wednesday while he was attending the Premier League launch and he hopes to sign him before Sunday's opener against Tottenham.
The 21-year-old was sent home from Chelsea's pre-season tour of China after he made negative comments about the country on his Instagram account.
Kenedy has since apologised and Chelsea followed suit, confirming the player has been disciplined for his actions.
A statement from the club at the time said: "Kenedy's actions were a mistake that he will learn greatly from.
"His behaviour does not represent the entire team and does not align with the club's high expectations and strict requirements of its young players. He has been strongly reprimanded and disciplined."
If the deal goes through it will be a boost for Benitez who has admitted he is not happy with Newcastle's transfer business so far this summer.
Speaking on Sky Sports Premier League launch show, Benitez said: "It is very hard because the prices are crazy. We missed some targets at the beginning and we are paying for that, but hopefully we can find some solutions."