Paul Tisdale confirmed as MK Dons boss after leaving Exeter
Wednesday 6 June 2018 22:41, UK
Paul Tisdale has been confirmed as the new MK Dons manager after recently ending his 12-year stay with Exeter City.
The club, who were relegated to Sky Bet League Two last month, have appointed Tisdale on a rolling long-term deal, with Matt Oakley and Mel Gwinnett also joining his coaching staff.
He left his role as manager of Exeter last week after their unsuccessful play-off final against Coventry City, immediately entering into talks with the Dons.
Tisdale told the MK Dons website: "When the owner contacted me we discussed the opportunity for a fresh approach, both on and off the pitch.
"We have a shared vision for the club and want to build a unique environment and culture - one which will best enable the players to perform and become part of a winning football team.
"I am excited by the club's ambition and relish the challenge of guiding MK Dons to fulfil its undoubted potential."
Sky Sports News understands the Dons had also been interested in Darren Ferguson - who resigned from Doncaster Rovers this week - and they also interviewed Keith Millen, who was caretaker after Dan Micciche was sacked in April.
But they have decided on the 45-year-old Tisdale, who won back-to-back promotions with Exeter from the National League to third EFL tier between 2007 and 2009.
Tisdale's relationship with Exeter fans had become strained, with calls for him to resign after a 3-1 defeat at Stevenage in April, and he admitted he had felt taken for "granted" during his time at the Grecians.
MK Dons chairman Pete Winkelman said of the appointment: "Paul was our number one choice from the very start and although it has taken some time to become real, it is certainly worth the wait.
"Paul ticks every box for us and I am very much looking forward to working with him and his team, as we all look to bring back exciting times to Milton Keynes."