Brendan Rodgers insists he is not feeling extra pressure at Liverpool
Thursday 17 September 2015 18:00, UK
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists he is not feeling any extra pressure at Anfield despite disappointing defeats to West Ham and Manchester United.
Rodgers has faced criticism over the manner of the losses, with the Hammers winning 3-0 to record their first win at Anfield since 1963 and then United winning 3-1 at Old Trafford to keep Louis Van Gaal's 100 per cent record in the fixture intact.
Rodgers, who is in his fourth season in charge of the Reds, will be hoping to avoid a third defeat in a row on Thursday when Liverpool face Bordeaux away in the Europa League.
Asked about the level of pressure, he said: "Same as it has ever been and probably what I've had for the last year or so.
"I don't think it has increased at all. It is the pressure which comes with managing a great club. It says everything that you lose a couple of games and that pressure comes, but I've always embraced and enjoyed that.
"Nothing has changed in that way. I just need to concentrate on getting the team right. Pressure is something which is part and parcel of being manager of this club."
Liverpool narrowly missed out on winning the Premier League title two seasons ago under Rodgers as the trio of Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling led an attack that scored 101 goals.
However, Suarez has departed for Barcelona, Sterling has joined Manchester City and Sturridge has been laid low by a succession of injuries.
Despite signing Christian Benteke from Aston Villa for £32.5m in the summer, Liverpool have struggled in front of goal this season - managing just three in five league games - and Rodgers acknowledges the team is not performing to the level required.
"You can lose games but it is how you lose them and the last couple of games are not how you want to lose," Rodgers said.
"I think it is good I have an identity as a coach and a way of working that is clear and I can see where anyone making that comment [that the current team is not playing the way a Rodgers side at their best does] would come from.
"I am confident we can get back to playing that way and it is something I along with the staff are working very hard to reinforce the principles of how we have worked here."
Rodgers has omitted Benteke, Martin Skrtel, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne, Lucas Leiva and James Milner from the squad to face Bordeaux but he insists the club are taking the competition seriously.
"My approach is what I did in this competition when I first came in: we played players who were needing games and it gives me a chance to look at some younger players and back then we finished top of the group," added Rodgers, who confirmed Mamadou Sakho will make his first appearance of the season and Divock Origi his first start.
"We will pick a team to win the game. At this stage for me it is really about trying to get a performance level as consequently that will lead to us getting consistent results.
"Some players who I left behind will play [against Norwich on Sunday] but there will be players who play [on Thursday] who will play at the weekend and that opportunity is there."