Haringey Council reaffirm commitment to Tottenham stadium project at Northumberland Park
By Lyall Thomas
Last Updated: 09/03/17 1:59pm
Haringey Council leader Claire Kober has told Sky Sports News HQ they are "fully committed" to delivering their part in Tottenham's new stadium development after criticism from the club's chairman Daniel Levy.
Kober and Greater London Authority (GLA) Head of Sport Simon Cooper were the subjects of a scathing email from Levy last month complaining about a lack of support from the council and City Hall.
The email, reported in the London Evening Standard, revealed that some of Tottenham's financiers had "hardened" their stances and were demanding assurances over the Council and GLA's part in the build.
The GLA failed to respond for comment when approached by Sky Sports News HQ but Kober issued a statement insisting they are fully behind the project.
She said: "We are committed to working in partnership with Spurs and the GLA to deliver the entire stadium project, including wider benefits of improved public realm and much-needed new housing.
"This scheme has always been central to our regeneration ambitions and we remain committed to working with our partners to ensure that it is a huge success for the residents of Tottenham and beyond."
Tottenham have until the end of March to confirm with the FA whether or not they will take the option to play their home matches at Wembley next season, while the rest of the development - now costing around £800m - is finished.
That process will involve the demolition of the current White Hart Lane structure and Levy recently stressed to a meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust (THST) that they must not make the wrong call.
He also told the THST board that, should any problems arise, plan B is to continue playing at White Hart Lane for another season and move to Wembley for the 2018/19 campaign instead.
Tottenham will find out from Brent Council on March 23 whether they can play all their domestic and European home matches at Wembley next season at full capacity. The current arrangement is for five games to be played at 90,000 and the rest at a reduced 51,000.