Eddie Howe warns Benik Afobe 'Arsenal just another game'
Friday 5 February 2016 12:19, UK
Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe has warned striker Benik Afobe of the dangers of trying too hard against his former club Arsenal this weekend.
Howe says he has been impressed with Afobe, who left Arsenal to join Wolves last year before signing for the Cherries in January, and is confident he will keep his focus.
Afobe has settled in quickly on the south coast and has scored in three of his four Premier League games since his £10m move on January 14.
"I'm not surprised. You don't sign a player if you don't think he can come in and have an impact," said Howe.
"I'm happy with how quickly he's moulded into the group and picked up the things we want to do. He's grasped our philosophy.
"His temperament is very good. He's a level-headed guy and works incredibly hard. He just wants to be successful so the signs are good for the long-term.
"I think it's dangerous to build the game up in your mind. It's his former club, yes, but you've got to approach it like any other game; make sure you are motivated but don't over-try. Knowing Benik, I'm sure he will do that."
Afobe has provided a timely boost for Howe's squad after long-term injuries to forwards Callum Wilson and Max Gradel left the Cherries short of options up front.
The pair, who are sidelined with cruciate knee ligament injuries, were re-named in the club's 25-man squad following the conclusion of the transfer window and Howe says they are on course to return as scheduled.
"I wouldn't expect Max Gradel back anytime soon, not in the next couple of weeks. The target for him is March and he's on course," said Howe. "Callum is in line for April. They've been named in the 25-man squad and we expect them back before the end of the season.
"Our signings were out of necessity. We wanted to act early because of the injuries we had, especially up front. We are really pleased with the work we've done."