No FIFA action over Neymar's complaint of unpaid Barcelona bonus
By Bryan Swanson, Chief News Reporter
Last Updated: 23/02/18 4:21pm
FIFA will take no action in relation to Neymar's complaint over a £23million bonus he feels he should be paid by former club Barcelona.
The world governing body has closed an investigation after legal action was taken elsewhere over the same complaint.
The 25-year-old, who completed a world record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain last summer, demanded Barca be expelled from the Champions League after the club refused to pay the bonus to Neymar's father.
A FIFA spokesperson told Sky Sports News: "After having been made aware that, apparently, the same matter had been submitted in parallel before different jurisdictions, by the same party, the FIFA administration informed the parties to the dispute that, based on the long-standing and well-established jurisprudence of FIFA's deciding bodies, it did not seem to be in a position to continue with the investigation of the affair.
"The proceedings were therefore closed for formal reasons."
Barcelona spokesman Josep Vives previously said earlier this month: "The club will not pay the bonus to Neymar's father. There were three conditions: the player must not negotiate his departure from the club during the month before the bonus became payable, he must demonstrate his desire to fulfil his contract, and that we would not pay out the bonus before September 1, to ensure the transfer window was closed.
"Now that we know that none of these three conditions were met, we will not honour that bonus."
UEFA announced last September that it was opening an investigation into PSG's summer spending to establish whether or not the French club had complied with Financial Fair Play regulations.