Preston striker Sean Maguire eyes first Republic of Ireland start
By PA Sport
Last Updated: 21/03/18 3:23pm
Sean Maguire is dreaming of a first Republic of Ireland start and promotion to the Premier League as his career continues to soar.
A little more than a year ago, the striker, who had a spell at West Ham as a teenager, was struggling to get a game at Dundalk in the League of Ireland.
But having been rescued by Cork City, for whom he scored 20 goals last season, he was picked up by Preston in July and capped for the first time at senior level for his country as a substitute less than three months later.
Maguire, who has scored seven times in his last seven appearances for his club, is hoping to add to that by lining up for Ireland against Turkey in Antalya on Friday, and can scarcely believe how swiftly his fortunes have changed.
The 23-year-old said: "I've come a long way from this time last year. I think it was six games into the season and I'd scored six goals, but to look a year after and here in the international set-up and scoring a few goals for Preston...
"2017 was a great year, but I feel 2018 is going to be even better."
Starting for the Republic against Turkey would fulfil a childhood dream for Maguire, but whatever happens in Antalya, he will return to Deepdale with his sights set very firmly on promotion.
Preston currently sit in eighth place in the Sky Bet Championship table, only two points adrift of the play-off places, and the frontman is confident they can make it into the mix.
He said: "There are two positions that five or six teams can grab with eight games to go. Eight games in the Championship is massive, anyone could grab those fifth and sixth places.
"I think the top four is pretty much settled with Wolves, Villa, Cardiff and Fulham, but those two places are up for grabs and it feels like we are getting better each game."