Huddersfield boss David Wagner out of contention for Leicester job
Friday 20 October 2017 14:56, UK
David Wagner has ruled himself out of contention for the Leicester City job following the sacking of Craig Shakespeare earlier this week.
The Huddersfield Town boss emerged as an outside contender for the vacant position, but was keen to focus on the visit of Manchester United on Saturday.
Wagner said he was not affected by reports linking him to the King Power Stadium.
When asked about the Leicester job, he said: "No it is not a distraction and it doesn't bother me. I am and I will be the manager of Huddersfield Town."
The German guided Huddersfield to an unlikely promotion last season, so it is no surprise that he has been linked with the position.
But since their promising start, his side have struggled to score goals, not helped by the injury to their top scorer Steve Mounie, who will be back in the squad to face United.
"He will be back in the squad, as we said before the last game, he will be back for Manchester United," Wagner said.
"Yes absolutely we don't have the biggest squad and if we miss a high-quality player, which for sure Mounie is, we miss him. Every team needs competition and now Steve is back we have competition.
"Are we struggling for goals? Yes. Is that usual? Yes it is. We are Huddersfield in the Premier League. We will try hard to change it."
This weekend marks the start of a tricky run of fixtures for Huddersfield who travel to Anfield next weekend and play both Manchester City and Arsenal in December.
He said: "Other managers in Germany have to play in the Champions League to play games like we have around the corner.
"Of course, I am excited by what is going on at this football club."