Napoli could not wait on Maurizio Sarri to decide future, says Aurelio de Laurentiis
Tuesday 29 May 2018 17:23, UK
Napoli could not wait any longer for Maurizio Sarri to decide on his future at the club, according to the club's president Aurelio de Laurentiis.
On Sunday, Sky Italy reported that Chelsea have a general agreement with Sarri to succeed Antonio Conte. Last week, Napoli appointed Carlo Ancelotti to succeed Sarri as their new manager.
Napoli president De Laurentiis has spoken on the former boss, saying he had to move on and appoint Ancelotti, who has been out of management since he was sacked by Bayern Munich in September 2017, for the best interests of the club.
"There is no background to Sarri's exit," De Laurentiis said. "At a certain point I told the press that his time was over.
"I am in charge of a business, and I can't be waiting for others to be available when they should always be available for the club."
Speculation surrounding Conte's future at Chelsea has intensified this season, with Sarri linked as his possible successor.
De Laurentiis said he had a deadline for the 59-year-old to decide on his Napoli future and eventually it passed, leaving him no option but to move on.
"I gave him time, but then the time expired and I moved on by taking Carlo Ancelotti to Napoli," he added.
"We started to collaborate together for two days in Rome and then with Ancelotti first in London, then in Canada."