Arrest made over Borussia Dortmund bus attack
By Sky News
Last Updated: 21/04/17 8:16am
Police have arrested a man on suspicion of carrying out the bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus last week.
Dortmund defender Marc Bartra, a Spain international, and a police officer were injured in the triple blasts as the players and coaching staff left a hotel ahead of the Champions League match against Monaco in Germany.
Prosecutors said the suspect, identified only as Sergej W, was detained on Friday.
They allege he had a financial motive for the attack and had speculated on Dortmund's share value falling after the bombing.
"A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack," said prosecutors.
The 28-year-old, who has dual German and Russian citizenship, faces charges of attempted murder, causing an explosion and inflicting serious bodily harm.
Three identical letters were found at the scene, linking the attack to German involvement in the fight against Islamic State in Syria. But there were doubts over their authenticity.
A fourth letter posted online also claiming responsibility, which could have come from anti-fascists, was discounted by police too.
The explosives used in the attack contained metal pins - one of which buried itself into a headrest on the coach.
Police believe the explosives may have been hidden in a hedge near the car park the L'Arrivee Hotel and Spa on the outskirts of Dortmund.