Skip to content
Full Time After Extra Time This is a live match. Extra Time Half Time

Dumbarton vs Rangers. Scottish Championship.

The C & G Systems StadiumAttendance1,978.

Dumbarton 1

  • G Buchanan (sent off 72nd minute)
  • G Flening (90th minute pen)

Rangers 2

  • M Waghorn (64th minute, 73rd minute pen)

Dumbarton 1-2 Rangers: Martyn Waghorn double seals Rangers win

Rangers' James Tavernier (left) battles with Willie Gibson of Dumbarton
Image: Rangers' James Tavernier (left) battles for possession with Willie Gibson of Dumbarton

Martyn Waghorn scored two second-half goals to secure a hard-fought 2-1 win for Rangers away to Dumbarton.

Mark Warburton's side continued their perfect start to the Scottish Championship campaign but the hosts frustrated the Gers in the opening period and hit the post with a header.

But a long-distance strike and a penalty from Waghorn secured maximum points once again, with Dumbarton reduced to 10 men when Gregor Buchanan pulled down Kenny Miller to give away the spot-kick.

That was despite Garry Fleming scoring a penalty in the final minute to provide a late scare as the visitors held on to secure their seventh straight league victory.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Martyn Waghorn scored two second-half goals to secure a hard-fought 2-1 win for Rangers away to Dumbarton.

Rangers almost scored in the opening minute when Dominic Ball played the ball through to Gedion Zelalem but goalkeeper Mark Brown saved his effort.

The hosts continued to frustrate Rangers and went close to scoring themselves, Fleming seeing his header come back off the post.

Darren Barr also caused problems for the away defence but 'keeper Wes Foderingham kept his header out.

Also See:

Warburton's side began to reassert themselves before the break, with James Tavernier forcing a decent save from Brown, who tipped his shot over the crossbar.

Rangers' Gedion Zelalem (left) challenged Dumbarton goalkeeper Mark Brown
Image: Gers midfielder Gedion Zelalem (second left) challenges Dumbarton goalkeeper Mark Brown

Tavernier then went even closer in first-half stoppage time as he hit the post with a free-kick that had Brown well beaten as Rangers continued to be frustrated.

That frustration continued into the second half, with Andy Halliday denied by a last-ditch tackle before the same player just failed to connect with a header six yards out.

The Light Blues kept up the pressure, though, and were duly rewarded on 64 minutes when Waghorn cut in from the right flank and fired home from 30 yards.

Waghorn duly doubled his tally and Rangers' advantage on 73 when he fired his penalty past the despairing dive of Brown and into the bottom right corner after Buchanan had illegally denied Miller with the striker clean through on goal.

It would have been 3-0 had it not been for a superb save from Brown as he pushed a curling 25-yard Halliday effort on to the post.

Instead it was the hosts who scored from the spot after defender Danny Wilson had brought down Frazer Wright.

Fleming drilled home the resulting spot-kick despite the best efforts of Foderingham in the Rangers goal but the Glasgow side held on to continue their 100 per cent start to the league season.

Around Sky