Three dead after explosions at Stade de France

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Three people have died after explosions at the Stade de France during the friendly between France and Germany

Three people have died after explosions at the Stade de France during the friendly between France and Germany, as attacks around Paris claimed at least 129 lives.

Two of the blasts happened at entrances to the stadium and another at a nearby McDonald's restaurant, with Paris police later confirming two of the explosions were suicide attacks.

Sky News Live

Sky News Live

The latest updates from Paris

Elsewhere in the French capital gunmen shot dead diners at restaurants and hostages were killed at a concert venue, prompting French president Francois Hollande - who was at the game but left early when news of the attacks broke - to declare a national state of emergency and tighten the country's borders.

In total 129 people are reported to have died.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

During terror attacks in Paris, football fans were held in Stade de France for their safety

French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet told French television station Canal+: "There was a bomb explosion at the entrance to Gate J. There have been three deaths and some injured. 

"The Stade de France is secure. There is no longer any danger, people will leave normally."

The match was allowed to run its course, France winning 2-0, but at the final whistle supporters who remained were asked to congregate on the pitch while the players remained in their changing rooms.

Also See:

French President Francois Hollande (C) and Germany's Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier (R) attend a football match between France and Germany.
Image: French President Francois Hollande (middle) was at the Stade de France

Atletico Madrid forward Antoine Griezmann played for France in the match and learned afterwards that his sister had been one of those able to escape from the attack at the Baticlan music venue, where the majority of the deaths occurred.

Germany's players remained at the Stade de France overnight and left for Germany on Saturday morning, arriving in Frankfurt before 11am local time.

The team's general manager Oliver Bierhoff said: "It was obviously very moving and shocking. The players were scared, nobody really knew what was going on.

"The information flow was not the best, so we tried to avoid all risks. We decided not to drive through Paris and spend the night in a hotel that might not be 100 per cent secure. That's why we stayed in the locker rooms."

The Football Association offered its condolences to all affected and liaised with the French Federation before it was confirmed that Tuesday's friendly against France will go ahead at Wembley.

Football fans leave the Stade de France stadium
Image: Supporters leave the Stade de France following the match

FA chairman Greg Dyke said: "Our thoughts and sincere condolences are with the city of Paris after these terrible atrocities. I want to express our sorrow and send our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of those who have lost their lives.

"After consulting with the FFF and the British Government, we have decided the match should go ahead. We will use the opportunity to pay our respects to all affected and also to express our solidarity with the people of France."

UEFA also issued a statement on Saturday morning which read: "UEFA is deeply shocked and saddened by the tragic events which occurred in Paris last night and wishes to express its support and solidarity to France and to those affected by these horrible acts."

Suspended UEFA president Michel Platini, who is French, said: "I would like to express my deep sorrow and profound indignation at such acts of blind barbarity. I would also like to offer my condolences to the families of the victims and I hope for a prompt recovery to the wounded."

Glasgow's rugby players are also in the French capital ahead of their European Champions Cup match against Racing 92, but their game has been called off, with all sporting events in the region cancelled this weekend in the wake of the attacks.

Paris is among the cities bidding to host the 2024 Olympic Games, and International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach joined those condemning the attacks.

Bach said in a statement: "This is not only an attack on the people of France and Paris, this is an attack on humanity and all humanitarian and Olympic values.

"We stand united with all people from all around the globe. Our thoughts are of course with the families and friends of those who have been killed or wounded.

"We support also the outstanding work of so many men and women in the medical and security fields who are assisting the population in these very difficult moments."

For developing news on the Paris attacks follow Sky News' coverage.

Around Sky