Prosecutor wants suspended sentence for Antonio Conte

Antonio Conte is currently facing a charge of sports fraud

A prosecutor is seeking a suspended six-month sentence for Antonio Conte over his alleged role in a match-fixing case.

Italian public prosecutor Roberto Di Martino formalised his request on Tuesday as Conte's fast-track trial began. Conte did not attend the hearing. 

Di Martino also requested that Italy coach and future Chelsea boss Conte be handed an €8,000 (£6,409) fine.

Conte is accused of committing sports fraud during the 2010-11 season when he was coach of Siena. He denies wrongdoing.

Juventus head coach Antonio Conte
Image: Conte starts next season in charge of Chelsea

The match under investigation is Siena's 1-0 victory at Albinoleffe in May 2011. Siena's 2-2 draw at Novara, also in May 2011, was dropped from the inquiry.

Conte's lawyer Leonardo Cammarata told Reuters: "Antonio Conte denies any wrongdoing and any knowledge of an attempt at match-fixing."

Cammarata also said that the defence is due to make its final statement to the court on April 11 and a verdict is due in mid-May.

Also See:

Even if Conte is convicted, he would have the option to appeal to the Court of Appeal and then the Court of Cassation. 

He would not be considered guilty, under Italian law, until all appeal processes had been rejected or he accepted the judgement. It will therefore not affect his chances of taking up his role at Chelsea. 

Antonio Conte
Image: Conte 'denies any wrongdoing and any knowledge of an attempt at match-fixing'

Conte is one of around 100 suspects in the sprawling Calcioscommesse corruption inquiry who are awaiting judgement.

The 46-year-old served a four-month ban during the 2012-13 campaign, when he was at Juventus, for failing to report fixing at Siena.

Conte signed a three-year deal with Chelsea on Monday and will officially take up his new role following the conclusion of this summer's European Championship in France. 

Around Sky