Everton boss Ronald Koeman issues warning to players
Friday 13 January 2017 20:06, UK
Everton boss Ronald Koeman confirmed new signing Morgan Schneiderlin will be in the squad to face Manchester City and warned there are players in his squad who "don't really have a future" with the club.
Schneiderlin became Everton's second recruit of the January transfer window on Thursday, the French midfielder moving from Manchester United to reunite with the manager he had previously worked under at Southampton.
That came a week on from teenage winger Ademola Lookman joining from Charlton, while Koeman has expressed interest in Manchester United's Memphis Depay and has been linked with Standard Liege forward Ishak Belfodil.
Asked on Friday about the prospect of making further additions to those already brought in, with Depay and Belfodil's names being put to him, Koeman said: "We are still working to improve the team and if we can make a deal for one or two more players, then we will.
"But we saw the situation of Morgan. We had interest in the player for a long time, but it's not easy to do a deal and sometimes it needs more time than expected. We know we have until the end of January."
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s Merseyside v Manchester clash between Everton and Manchester City, when asked if there was the potential for more departures, Koeman said: "Most of the players know the situation - and some players, actually in the squad now, they don't really have a future at Everton."
Koeman also confirmed Schneiderlin will be in the matchday squad to face City and the France international admitted he wanted to join Everton as he was keen to remain in the Premier League.
"There was other interest in England and abroad," he said.
"I wanted to stay in England and Everton is a massive club with ambition to be in the top five or six or higher, and win trophies.
"I know what to expect from the manager - that he wants to play football, and he wants to use me. It was an easy decision.
"I don't think I went to Man United at the best time in their history – last year we didn't always play very good football, not very attractive, and there was lots of criticism.
“I haven't had the run of games I was expecting [under Jose Mourinho]. I didn't enjoy it as I wanted to.
"But the past is the past. I was very happy to play for such a great club. I learned a lot. I don't have anger at all towards Mourinho. I can accept the decision he made - I have to, and have to move forward.
"And I'm glad he accepted my decision as well, when I went to see him and said 'I can't see myself on the bench for a year'. He was cool."
Watch Everton v Manchester City on Sunday, the first part of Merseyside v Manchester. Coverage begins on Sky Sports 1 at 12.30pm.